The Best Betta Tank Setup

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
OK, this thread should focus on what you believe is the best setup for bettas. I am hoping breeders and owners chime in with their experience. I am not simply asking about what you currently have, but rather, what you would say is the best setup for Betta Splendins, if you had to do it from stratch and not spend your money twice.

I'll start with my ideal setup:
- 1 Betta per tank: no fighting issues, no bio-load issues ($3.00)
- A 6 gallon Bio-wheel filtered tank, like a eclipse 6: creates water flow (good to prevent fin rot), and filtration but no strong a current for these slow swimmers. No airpump noise, easy filter changes. ($56.00)
- A Rock/Pot/Decoration for the fish to hide/sleep. ($9.00)
- 2 live plants, 1 tall one that reaches the top, 1 shorter one, like watersprite, java fern or java moss. Bettas like to rest ontop of tall plants. (Plastic would also be fine) ($6.00)
- A good quality 50w submersible heater for the winter months (set at 76F) (another reason to have a bigger than 3gal tank size) ($23.00)

I realize this is a pretty large setup for a single fish ($97.00), but again, this is what I would consider ideal. Anything smaller means more water changes and less room for decorations and heaters. From a human perspective, this would be the easiest to maintain, and from a fish perspective, WOW, 6 gallons all to myself, nice....

(Prices quoted are from www.petsmart.com - 08/05/03)

Last edited:

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Hi Iggy!!!

Well .... I have Lancelot in the best set I THINK!!!!!! ;))

Eclipse System 12 comes with Bio wheel, light etc....

12 gallon tank with 6 Marimo balls and a floaring Anarichis.
1 Lava rock
1 medium size sandstone coloured rock with 2 holes for hiding.

3 silk plants and nice natural gravel...

He spends his days swimming around and making endless bubble nests in the floating plants and LOVES it!!!

Tee hee....

Marie

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Well, for those of you who REALLY love your bettas, 12 gallons is better than 6 gallons. ;) Nice setup Papillon!

The only reason I did not suggest any bigger than 6 is because people are already tempted to add more than one fish in a 2 gallon, let alone a 6 or 12 gallon, which eventually leads to fish compatablity and fighting issues.

I would rather someone have a eclipse 3 gallon bio-wheel filtered tank with 1 betta, than a 12 gallon power filtered tank with a betta and a bunch of nippy or aggressive fish and have to deal with all the carnage.

Mar 11, 2003
I can't really give you an "ideal" set up. Of course bigger is better, but you have to remember about space issues, buying MORE decorations to fill a larger tank, the cost of a large tank, ect. I think people don't try to cheap out when it comes time to house a fish, but for ME, a good and affordable set up is:

*One male betta

*3 gallon tank WITH HOOD (bettas are terrific jumpers)

*Live moneywart, microsword, and in the center, some drift wood with java moss.

*6 watt light bulb

*whisper micro filter

*25watt heater & thermometer

*Natural colored gravel or sand (natural colors reflect the fish's colors better)

Having a 3 gallon gives your betta room to stretch out and explore while being more affordable, convenient, less space is taken up, and easy to manage. The drawbacks: more water changes than a larger aquarium. But I can assure you, that you can do wonderful things with a smaller aquarium (I LOVE Illusions 5 gallon, that would be perfect for a betta too- minus the tank mates, except for a few corydoras or otos).

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Alexa, I just visited a local breeder in my area today. She has been breeding for about five years. Her opinion (not mine) is a follows:

1 to 3gal tank with cover
no gravel
Light (bulb type using florescent twist bulbs)
1 live floating plant

optional bubble/sponge filter
optional heater to fit tank

She was very opinionated about bettas, and I did learn quite a bit by seeing her setup. It was nothing fancy, just jars, trays, and a bunch of 10 and 30 gallon tanks for grow-out.

I guess bettas can live in pretty much anything. I still agree with you however, a nice 3 to 6 gallon tank has a better appearance and you can do more in them than just a simple bowl.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Yes, a corner (some come with suction cups) bubble filter will help, primarily for reducing surface scum, but will also help reduce odor (if you have carbon) and some loose debris.

Make sure you have a regulator on your airline, you want it to flow quickly but not the full force of the airpump.