The big debate!

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Should i keep my 30 gallon tall and try to fix the seals on it or should i just buy a new like 20 gallon long for my breeder tank. Also i am planning to take the filter on my 55 gallon the whisper 30-60 and use it in my new tank while keeping my Canister filter xp2 on the 55 gallon. So do you think that the filter will cycle the small tank really fast with the already established colony?

So ideas!?! how hard is it to repair a tank. As well as clean it.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I am not sure how hard it is to reseal, but I am sure it is worth a shot. Then get the 20 g also, HEHE.
The filter idea will work. If you use some of the gravel, it should be close to an instant cycle.

Good Luck

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Whether you buy a new tank or reseal the one you have depends on a few things.
1. How much the cost of a tank means to you, and how valuable your time is. For some people $40 is a lot of money, for some people, the several hours to reseal a tank is a long time.
2. How skilled you are with DIY type projects.

These instructions look pretty good: Aquamaniacs :: View article - How to Reseal Your Glass Aquarium - by Jake DeTommaso

You can transfer your HOB filter to a new tank and add fish. However, you may have a mini-cycle, so keep a close eye on parameters and make sure you stock very lightly with hardy fish, just to be safe.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
I want to stock it with guppies but i do not know how hardy they are, i know tiger barbs are very hardy freshwater fish any others? that are cheap and i can probably give back to the LFS with out a problem.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Sorry too double post but that DIY is very informative and i think i could redo that tank in record time because the silicon that is in the tank is like pealing off, that's what i got my new one lol... I might just consider fixing and cleaning it and buying a new 20 gallon, 30 gallons is nice but i just want to house guppies and i don't want to reach over the 5 foot rim of the tank. (sorry about grammer i am very tired.)

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah i have two filters on my 55 gallon one has some beneficial bacteria on it and the other is new and is building up some so they both have to be there for the next couple of weeks but still trying to decide what i want for another tank.