The H.O.T. Magnum Bio pro system

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
The H.O.T. Magnum Bio pro system

Anyone know anything about this Filter System. I was given a 30 gallon salt water setup and it came with this filter.

Is this filter all I need to run a 30 gallon FOWLR tank?

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah I would definately do Live Rock (FOWLR tank).
Plus I have the powerheads.

So I would need a protien skimmer with this? I'm pretty sure the guy did not have a Protien skimmer. That is why I ask.

Thanks

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
in a 30 gallon you can get away with just 30-50 lbs of liverock that filter along with a few powerheads and if you do alot of water changes you can get by without a protien skimmer ;)

Derpeder

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2006
TRe said:
in a 30 gallon you can get away with just 30-50 lbs of liverock that filter along with a few powerheads and if you do alot of water changes you can get by without a protien skimmer ;)
That must have been what this guy did. Lots of water changes. I think I could handle that. Well we will see. I may end up selling the system.

Anyone else with advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i recommend multiple heaters but its not needed. only if u got a heavy stocked reef tank. (might lose hundreds for not buying a $20 heater...)

anyways i heard anything over 12g u would want a protein skimmer. thats a lot of saltmix = water conditions can change. heat, SG ect.

u want to hook up a sump/refuge?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If the Magnum came with the white micron filter, then it's useful for polishing the water, otherwise, it's not terribly useful in a saltwater tank. As others said, the live rock and powerfilters will give you a wonderful, natural filtration system.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I used a normal Magnum and took it off because it was a pain to maintain and the flow from it dropped drastically quickly after cleaning. Haven't had any problems without it and the water is still clear...