The Invisible Glass Cats

When I cleaned my tank yesterday, I saw both my Glass Cats for the first time in a couple days. Today at feeding time, neither of them came out...this is not unusual for them.

What I'm wondering is if this usual behaviour for the species in general...do they often like to hide? When I first got them they seemed to really like to be out in the open, dwelling mostly around mid-tank, close to the glass. I haven't quite managed to find a profile of them yet.

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I just have 1 glass cat. He seems to do great. He pretty much keeps to himself. My cat's favorite places are in the open swimming against the flow of the filter (it reminds them of the stream they come from) and inside of a plastic treestump decoration I have. I've read varying things on them depending on the website. One of the websites I read said that they like to have personal space in a dark area where they won't be bothered. This site concentrates on the idea that they are schooling fish and are very active. Mine seems to be doing great on his own. He's growing and happy with no deseases so far. Just look in every little dark crevace for your cats!

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Glass cats are a bugger to feed (the hardest of all smaller aquarium fish, I've found), secretive, and generally not cooperative with observation.

I would dissuade any but the most attentive and serious collector from keeping them since they're such a P.I.T.A. to feed and watch.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I've kept glass cats for a few years now. 2 of the 3 I currently have even moved 3,000 miles with me (they made the trip in a 30-gallon rubbermaid tub in the back seat of the toyota we pulled behind the moving truck) Fragile fish that made an incredibly stressful trip.

Anyway, mine prefer to hang out in the shade. I have BRIGHT lighting in the tank they're in (about 4wpg), so they stay out of the light as much as possible. I have the timer set to turn the lights off at noon for an hour, and I ask my wife to feed them then as they come out more whent he lights are off. They definitely are a schooling fish, so even though they may do fine alone, they'll do EVEN BETTER in a group.

They eat flakes off of the surface (finally), but for months when I first got them, they would only eat food floating right in front of them. I don't think these fish have very good vision, probably one reason why they have those insanely long whiskers.

If you really want to see these guys regularly, provide them with a shady, high current location in the top front of the tank. I did, and now I can see mine all day long. They are the fish EVERYBODY comments on when they see the tank.

I got more out of your post, Delta, then I have from reading profile after profile on these things.

I have three bubblers in my tank, but that may not be enough current...should I invest in a powerhead? (I believe that's what people get to create current?) As for shade...I tried some floating plants, but they just gather into one corner and it looks terrible...maybe a turtle dock could be used?