the last straw

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
So I decided to clean out my skimmer today before I went to work...I open up the Seaclone (yay) and I discover all kinds of wonderful micro algal growth, worms, and hundreds of little filter feeding organisms (can't think of their name offhand)...I guess my "skimmer" has more function as a refugium...but back to the story
I empty the collection cup, which I haven't done in a couple months, and am pleased to discover a good 1/4 of skimmate. But that's not the problem. If you have a Seaclone, you know how the connection between the main skimmer body and the little tube (sorry for non-technical terms) is a joke. So I put the skimmer back together, and go off to work. Near the end of the night, I get a frantic text from my mom saying that one of my light timers has shorted out and started a small fire. When I get home, I see that the timer is partially black and melted...luckily my house is still standing. My wonderful skimmer had been dripping for the past five hours in the on position, so there was about three gallons of water on the floor (which my mom hasn't figured out yet). To make this long story short, I lost one power strip and both of my light timers. I have removed my Seaclone from my tank altogether, and plan to go skimmerless (its not like the skimmer did much, anyway) until I have $200 to burn. Phew.

:mad:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
man.. Seaclone does it again. Glad i switched to a better one.
About the leak...teflon does the job..it did for me. Mine was leaking too. Crappy plastic, crappy skimmer.
If you're going skimmerless, those polyfilters pads can be a band aid solution, or like 3x more efficient than the seaclone. They really absorb organics matters and polish your water.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
sorry to hear about that dbacksrat, could have been worse though, I had a electrical fire start that destroyed a tank and dumped 20 gallons of water on the second floor, which ended up on the first floor. but anyways cheers to getting rid of it, maybe you should pull an office space on it, make yourself feel better.

Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
man that sucks!! Ive had the same problems with my seaclone. if you have a sump put it down there and hook the pump directly to the skimmer. it works much better that way. i get a 1/2 inch of skimmate a night, if its tuned right. putting it the sump solves a lot of the problems with seaclones

Last edited:

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
aresgod said:
put some light diffusers on your tank
earlier that day I had replaced the 3 gallons of water that had been pumped onto my floor...and I was in a hurry to go to my high school's football game, so I completely forgot to put it back on--a costly mistake...the lesson has been learned

MORAL OF THE STORY: cover your tank if you have jumpers

yes, I can now get inverts...this is kind of bittersweet

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
water, about 33 lbs of LR, a handful of corals, a handful of snails, a handful of survivor hermit crabs, and my clownfish (he loved the company from the sixline)

I plan on first replacing my skimmer with an AquaC Remora in a couple of months, then I'll buy another sixline wrasse. Hopefully the new one will not have a taste for inverts.