The moment you've all been waiting for! The YELLOW BETTA!!!

sorry for blur/flash
in the background he's flaring at his reflection (yes I know the tank is dirty I'm cleaning it tommorow cause my Pleco has been slacking on the job)

for some reason the other pics don't do his color justice. . .here is one that shows him in better color

Now that you've seen him. . . he needs a name

P.S. I also have a new Sunset Platty that needs a name

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
WOW! What an unusual and pretty betta!

As for names, how about:

Sunshine
Sunny
Buttercup
Aurora
Flare
Sparky
Flame
Bic (like the lighter :D)
Daisy
Daffodil
Daffy
Saffron
Sandy
Lemon
Mellow ("Mellow Yellow")

hmmm...getting into the Yankee Candle descriptions now....
Vanilla
Chardonnay
Honeysuckle
Mango

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yellow is hard to find for a simple reason. They are a red wash that is missing a gene. So not very common, and even more uncommon is a yellow that stays yellow. Since yours is a veiil, and most of the ones you them are at least a yr old at the lfs...he should stay yellow, nice find.

Now orange...well that is a different story. The breeders are just now within the last yr or so being able to produce an orange strain that will actually live past 2 months old.

Very nice fish! :D

Last edited:
wow! Thanx for all the names f8fan!!!! Naming something is yellow is hard cause I only had one name for a yellow creature. . . and that was Snicket (as in Lemony Snicket) And my male guppy got that name.

I loved the list of names you gave me. . . I'm thinking about Saffron. . . maybe Saffy.

What do you guys think???

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Black bettas are called Melanos, they are hard to find because a melano male and a melano female spawned together will not have viable fry. The one of the 2 is infertile.

So to get the pure black melano takes some work you have to cross steal being the most popular color with a melano, then you will have melano Geno steals, then back cross those offspring to the melano parent resulting in "some" pure melano bettas.

Hope that helps.