The Neverending Story of the Zebrasomas...

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Yellow, Purple, and Sailfin Tangs, along with their variations (Scopas, Dejardini, Black).

The issue of keeping them in anything less than 90 gallons has been tossed back and forth hundreds of times. I believe sailfins and purples should definitely be in something like a 90 or bigger, but what about the yellows? I am going to be setting up a 65 gallon tank, 36"x18"x24", and would really like to keep a yellow tang. I know the given rule would be to go in nothing less than a 4-foot tank, but would my tank make it?

I'm looking for honest answers. I want to know if I can keep one happily. If it winds up being no, then I simply won't purchase one.

Thank You.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think a yellow would be fine. You need to look at the max size - most Zebrasoma are pretty small, but the sailfin (desjardinii plus the other) do get pretty large. I see a few for sale at 8, 10 inches

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
My yellow is constantly cruising in and around the rockwork. He gets up to speed in the 4' tank, I can't imagine how fast they must be in a 6 ft tank........