The Package

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
New question for the masses. Has anyone ever ordered the package from Tampa Bay Saltwater? They ship it to you in two lots, one for cycling and then the sand stirrers and inverts in the second lot. For a 75g they recommend the following: 150lb live rock in two lots, 75 lbs live sand, 75 blue leg hermit crabs, 38 astrea snails, 4 tiger tail cucumbers, 2 brittle stars and 2 peppermint shrimp. This whole lot for less than I could buy live rock for here. Sent via airfreight in water. Sounds to good to be true, and other feedback I have from another forum said that they are a reputable company whose goal is customer satisfaction........any input from this forum?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If they have good feedback I would be pretty satisied. Its good they ship it in water so it comes in nice. And what they are sending sounds alright.

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
After reading your post I searched through their website. They made setting up a saltwater system seem easy which I know it is not. They basically send you half of the live rock and all the live sand first. You place in tank allow to cycle until your ammonia drops. Iassume that whatever comes in on the rock provides the source of ammonia.

After your ammonia drops you call them and they send you the rest of your live rock and the clean up crew. After a few months then you can start to add fish. I believe the live rock is 2 lbs per gallon and 1 lb per gallon of live sand. They state that the critters will keep the tank clean and well balanced and with a proper fish load maitenance is minimum. No sumps, no over flows, no filters only some power heads for extra currents and a solid protein skimmer. They swear only monthly water changes will be necessary.

I want to get into the saltwater arena probably next year. I want to spend this year doing research and gathering information and most of all saving money!!! I want to purchase all the great equipment at once so I can start it up right and get going. If I learned one thing from planted tanks its that you get what you pay for.

Anyway I wanted to know what you guys thought of this websites package offer? Theoretically would it work? I was planning on going big somewhere around the 150 gallon range. If this would be the best way to go then I need to set my money goals for their prices. It isn't cheap but I don't think there is a cheap way to go saltwater.

Just wondering what you guys thought. I don't want this to sound like I am looking for an easy way to not take care of my future tank. I just want to make sure I set it up the best way.

Lorna I hope that you document your expierence with this particular store. I am really interested in how it all works out for you!!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I have done quite a bit of reading both in print "The New Marine Aquarium" and "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" and on the web. So far everything that I have read leads me to positive conclusions for this type of initial set up. The costs are not that bad considering the cost here for cured live rock. I will be converting an existing 75 g fw tank. The local lfs will take all my freshwater stock back (nice of them as they are in great shape and I have had some for 5 years plus) I will reuse the existing gravel around the house for various projects. I intend to scrub out the tank and use the existing two Aquaclear 300 sans media for water movement. I will need to upgrade the lighting, any suggestions? the tank is 4' long with a glass lid. I have been planning this around some home improvements that we will be undertaking this summer in which I will need to break down the existing tank. I will gladly document my experiences with TBS as that is who I will be going with.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The package for a 75g was $814 shipping will add another $100 to $150 but compared to what I see here in the lfs locally, it looks like a bargain. We are planning home renos so I am waiting till they are done before I go ahead and now I can hardly contain my waiting. Any suggestions on lighting?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Are you doing corals? If you are I would say a power compact fixture, probably around 260 watts. If you arent just a few fluorescent tubes over the top.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have been told to go with the best and highest output lighting I can afford as it is costly and if I don't have enough it is an expensive error in calculations. So I will bite and get the 384W orbit with power compacts. I hope this is enough light. So far this will not be a small expense. I think I will start now buying what I need and stash it away........

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i've found drsfosterandsmith.com to be crazily expensive--try thatfishplace.com for a cheaper deal on light fixtures or marinedepot.com
the best place i've found for shopping online is marinedepot.com--super low prices, and good shipping prices too

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
drs.fosterandsmith usually has good specials and selection. Ive ordered from them a lot and they are very reliable. BigAlsOnline is pretty good on prices as well.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i just have to let everyone know that marinedepot has excellent skimmers and excellent shipping prices for less than everything else--i'm sitting here right now, looking at the catalog, drooling :)
i like drs foster and smith's catalogs: very colorful and lots of pics and interesting articles