The revenge of the white surface scum

tomo

New Fish
May 22, 2008
A little while back I created a post about a strange white surface scum on the top of the water. I had a couple of plants with white leaves, took them out and the problem went away.

However, about a week later I'm seeing some different looking scum on the top of the water. I'm now having to do partial water changes every day to get rid of it. A couple of days before the new scum I put some Cycle chemical into the tank which is supposed to help new tanks start cycling so am wondering if this had something to do with it. I've tested the water, the PH is quite high, nitrate is high, nitrite is medium and ammonia is low. The plants seem quite healthy - Does anyone know what this might be and what I need to do?

I have a 30 gallon tank with 5 guppies, 1 albino shark, 1 betta, 1 toad and a golden ram. The fish all seem fine at the moment but the problem seems to be getting worse ......

Here's a picture of the scum. You will notice the bubbles are sticking to the surface due to the scum: http://www.ewebtest.co.uk/tankpic/scum.jpg

Thanks very much.

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
I'd get a Power Head with an output that has an adjustable "angle". Put the Power Head in below the water line, then angle the output UP to the surface. That should move the surface around enough to stop the problem.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
the water agitation is not enough to get rid of it, I have the same problem with one of my tanks, new tanks have this problem sometimes..esp if you are cycling without water movement, the scum is a type of surface bacterial growth I believe. ..and something is out of wack with your tank allowing the bacteria to grow

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
What you are looking at is a protein film, not a bacterial film (sorry skratikans)

Adding an air stone, to increasing the air~iation (bubbles) will help break that up, & Reduce the amount of feedings, do several small water changes throughout the next few days, and make sure that anything that is rotten in the tank, is out. (dead fish, plants, left over food, abundance of fish waste, etc.). And as the others stated, the output of the filter, if directed at/towards the surface will increase the agitation, and decrease the surface STAGNATION. These methods will help.

It is common for tanks not in equilibrium yet, to develop this (esp newly cycled, or still cycling tanks), of which yours appears to be. Putting the film into the water column by circulating & aggitating it around, so the filter can do some removal of some dissolved solids, will help.

tomo

New Fish
May 22, 2008
Ok, thanks for the info, very useful. I still have the problem that the filter and output is all built into the tank. - I guess I'll just buy some sort of extra pump and an air stone to get some bubbles going.

I think my plants are ok because they are green, is this enough to tell?

Thanks again.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
If your plants are healthy looking and growing, that speaks for itself.

You can add a air stone or two, OR.. a power head with a venturi air device already built into it. There are several. Using a power head will circulate the water, and mix in the air, (if it has a venturi type air inlet built into it) and you can dial up or down, the amount of air it injects.

Increasing the circulation in your tank will help it's overall health.

Last edited: