The ritual of betta breeding

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Wow! I couldn't believe it! My sis's bettas have bred! I have no idea whether or not they're fertile, but I was mostly amazed and interested in the actual mating ritual they go through! :) I thought I'd share a few pics! *BOUNCINGS

Attachments

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
from wat i see the female is a ct. that female and male ar beautiful Firebug! jsut make sure to divide the tank cause the female will be harrassed and i bet you dont want that to happen to your queen. is the mle an albino? let me know if you get any pure pinkish wite bettas. those are hard to find in A.Z.

Mar 11, 2003
Ram Man, from what I can see the male isn't albino. Albino bettas have no pigment whatsoever, no white, no pink, nothing. They also have red eyes. If you are interested in opaques (whites), you're in luck because they're pretty common now. When the strain first came out they were EXPENSIVE! I used to breed opaques, but they are such a fragile strain and its difficult to get pure white. Most of them have wash, and/or the pink tint that you are talking about. They used to be my favorites, until I saw some gorgeous marbles.

Firebug, those bettas are beautifully colored! I have never seen any with that sort of pattern. Let us know what colors they end up being, because usually you get quite a few surprise colorings throughout a spawn that doesn't have an established line.

Alexa

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Thanks you guys! :) Unfortunately, the eggs failed to hatch, but was a good lesson for me anyways.
Infant340- I got them at my LPS, I have no idea where they got them from.
As soon as they were finished breeding, I put the female back in her hometank. I think she was glad about that (missed her "girlfriends") as she was a tad bit ragged, which was/is bound to happen when bettas breed. Hopefully next time there will be a sucessful batch. :)