The saddest day of my life so far.........

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
My 3 year old Lion (see avatar) jump out of my tank last night. I found him dead on the floor this morning. Why would he have done that? :confused: I am crying inside today.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
wow that is really too bad. I feel for you and sympathize totally. The only thing that I think makes them do it is if they are stressed by something. I have lost a few fish to carpet surfing myself.......rip....my favorite fish ever was my midas blenny.....3 diamond gobies....and a very special secretive wrasse.....oh and my 4 year old skunk cleaner shrimp.....very sad when they do this....all of my fish jumped through egg crate too....amazing that they can find the smallest space and fit through it.

Sorry again

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Hi Lorna
Yes, it is really sad. I did some reading, and found that if they have an upset belly, they do that. Could have been some bad krill possibly. He has been acting weird for the last week. Could also be that he ate a snail or crab, wouldn't surprise me. Thank you as well, Quaddity.
I just wonder why jump? It's not as if it is a better world out there.............

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry to hear about your fish. I have been worrying about some of my fish doing the same thing since I have had to take my glass covers off my tank. I bought some egg crate to put my LR on that I didnt use. I thought about covering the egg crate with some nylon screening so the fish won't get thru it, don't know if thats a good idea or not, I don't think the lights will effect the screen. Lion fish are beautiful fish, if there was one fish I would love to have, I think a Lion fish would be it.

vampirefish

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2009
York, UK
jumping fish

sometimes fish jump out if some sort of irritant has got into the water, try doing a water change to stop it happening again. One of my guppies jumped out a week ago...and survived! no idea how, especially as he fell of the 4-foot cupboard as well!

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Thank you Strout. Eggcrate should be adaquate, but if you read what Lorna was saying earlier, fish seem to find the tiniest of holes to jump out. Yes, they are beautiful. Vampirefish, I do 30G water changes every 2 weeks. Have been doing that for 3 years now. I believe he ate a snail or crap and got his belly upset. It's happened before that he had a big crab stuck in his throught, also tried to swallow big fish I pried from his mouth.