Thermometers

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I have been using a glass thermometer that has consistently read 80F. I bought a digital thermometer today so it would be more easy to read in the sump and it is reading 78.4. Is one type generally more accurate than the other? I am not sure which to believe. The digital one is by Coralife. The glass one I think in by Marineland, but cant really remember.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
im sure the digital one is more correct but then again people could argue that the substances are rarely wrong. it might be possible the labels/numbers are wrong though on the thermometer

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
When you look at them it seems that the piece of paper inside could slip a little and that is all it would take. I think I have an old thermometer around here from when I used to develop black and white negatives (remember those days?). I think that is probably accurate. Whichever it matches up with I am going with.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
fyi. years ago (forget exact date) they took out mercury cuz it was....poisonous...and replaced it with a type of alcohol.

my chem. teacher told use this when half the class was using 2 different thermometers...which was +/- 1-3 degrees off.

so im guessing that the glass thermometers is a bit off.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i just use my infra-red temp "gun" to take temps, i leave the stick on cheepy thermometers on the tanks tho, just in case a heater goes outa wack, but my electronic device gives me temps right down to the 1/10th of a degree, so it makes for water changes that more close to being spot on