Things could be better..future long blackout

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hydro-Quebec just called me that they have to repair something in my hood sunday..so there will be no electricity between 6 AM to 7:45 PM !! Oh and yeah, if they can't do it that day, they might cut the power another day. Period. It was an automatic message. I called to talk to a real person, but no answers. So now i'm pissed. The temperature here is -3 celcius during the night, not much higher during the day. I'm trying to find a Portable Electric Power Generator, but i don't know if i can rent one for the sunday blackout.
Considering that my apartment isn't really isolated ( crappy empty walls ) and that temperature can drop down very very quickly, what can i do to save my tank if i can't get the generator ?? A blanket will help but how long ??
Other DIY tricks like boiling water in a can near the tank ?
The blackout will not last over 24h...so they won't put a generator to help us..
'K guys my fishies n' coral need you bright ideas..
Tnx in advance..

-My stress coat is getting thin-

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
maybe space heaters near the tank, also battery operated air pumps, a large water change before the blackout. and a large water change after the black out. Get a generator, at all costs, buy one and return it, look at the investment you have in your tank right now...not worth losing everything.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
I had a similar prob when an ice storm wrecked havoc with our electric. I was primarely concerned with the temp. I compensated by putting a large 3 wick candle under the tank. Power was out for aprox 30 hrs. tank temp dropped from 78 to 74 with no blankets on the tank.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
ok i reached them...i had to ask 999 questions and wait an hour on the phone to finally hear very good news : They tried to reach the tenant that was there before me, and they didn't update his phone number...so they gave me a false info without prior inquiries...i almost rent a generator..
What a relief...
-tnx guys 4 helping-

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've had no power for 12 hours in a storm and it's not the end of the world. Get the flat as warm as you can stand, and when the temp goes below 28 put blankets/towels over the thing. And get a battery powered airpump