Thinking about crossing over...

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
I've got an empty 5G Eclipse...could I use that as a start up for something small in the salt world...like 1 or 2 fish...just to get my feet wet, so to speak? ;)

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
im not a big salt water tanker, but my guess is that you could... but you would have to do all that crazy filtration/sump stuff and all that so it could be hard?? haha, yah, you might want another opinion...haha, if you catch my drift... ha

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
You have hardly any, if not 0 fish choices for that size tank. You'd be stuck with inverts only. I'd say 10gal+ for fish. I suppose you might get away with something like those neon gobies, but i'd still look into 10gal+. Easier to keep as well, more water the less likely the system will crash if something is out of whack.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A 5g would be OK for a shrimp, but even then, lighting and flow will be harder than in a standard 10g tank.

A 5g or 10g tank will need daily topoffs and extremely careful monitoring, so make sure you have the time to dedicate to it, also.

Be warned, saltwater keeping is expensive.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
it can be expensive but u should be alright with just a 5g... dont let them scare u off :p
get a few pieces of live rock rubble, a little sand, a snails or 2, a couple hermits, and a little shrimp and see if u could handle it (its really not that hard just time consuming)

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
Yeah...time is something I don't really have at the moment...working 2 jobs and all...sigh...I barely have enough time for the tanks I've got...

Oh well...maybe someday! Thanks for the replies...I'll stick with FW for the moment... ;)