Thinking about SW

jiffy

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
Hey everyone - I haven't really given much thought to SW before, due to the cost and lack of space I have right now. I have been keeping FW fish for a few years but in small tanks. I recently bought (at a fantastic price) two 30 gallon tanks one of which had been used for SW and the other FW.

So, now I thought was the time to think about getting into SW. So, after my new purchase I have a 30 gallon (36 inch length) tank with a coralife aqualight - 2x96w, crushed coral, and about 30-40lbs of live rock (which isn't live any longer), a Marineland HOB filter rated at 50 gallons and a via aqua powerhead (not sure the rating on it).

So, I know I would need a protein skimmer and to either buy RO/DI water or a RO Unit, but I figure since I got all the other stuff, maybe I should consider SW at this point. I don't think right now is the time to start, as I may be moving in less than 6 months, but I figure now is the time to plan. I would have originally thought FO/FWLR would be the way to go, but I think that seeing as how I have PC lights maybe I should do corals, or sell the light for money to do FO/FWLR

So, any thoughts on whether I should go for it, or stick with FW would be appreciated.