Thinking about takeing a walk on the Saltwater side....

Calmwaters

Small Fish
Jul 9, 2009
:)I have kept freshwater fish since I was 10. I am now 32 and currently have a 44 gallon community tank, a 10 gallon community, a 10 gallon all girl betta a 5 gallon single female Betta with 3 cory cats, and a 2.5 gallon Male betta tank. I purchased a 20 gallon tall tank this weekend at a yard sale and I am looking for someone to tell me all I need to know about keeping salt water. Id it harder than fresh? I have talked to a guy at the LFS who seems to really knows his stuff and he has suggested if I decide to step over to the saltwater side to get live sand and rocks that they sale to start with and then add some soft coral when I feel like I am ready. He showed me several types that were really pretty and he said easy to keep. He also suggested Goby fish as a good first fish so tell me all you can about them to. :) Oh and he said they sale premixed/cycled saltwater for .70 a gallon and he said that would also be a good idea. Sorry its kind of long and thank you for any help you guys can give me.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well you should start by doing a bit of research such as reading all the stickies at the top of this forum. Then when you have some questions come here and ask them. Make sure that you are very sure of what you are doing before you start. Luckily in your case the lfs seems to have steered you somewhat in the right direction unlike some. A 20g is a bit on the small side for saltwater as you will not be able to keep the same number of fish per gallon as you can in freshwater. Also there is very little room for error in a 20g as any changes in water parameters are exaggerated in this small amount of water volume. Aim for about 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon of cured live rock.