this can't be right?!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i was looking on that liveaquarium.com page and my wife want's me to get a pokodot grouper and it says that the min. size tank is 300 gallon.. i see tons of them in pet stores in 55 gallons! do you guys think that this is a typo? also has anyone ordered fish from there? they seem to have the best prices i have seen! any info on that sight would be great.. thanks once again!
~ Jim

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it is not a typo...pet stores tend to keep fish in tanks which are overcrowded/too small

liveaquaria.com is a fine site to deal with, but you must order a lot of stuff to compensate for the hit you take on shipping. plus, i like to be able to buy fish at an LFS where I have observed them for a week or so

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i still don't see how that could be because you can have a ray in a 100 gallon tank which is alot bigger than this little fish will get.. ive been watching this 1 store and they have had the panther in there for awhile and seems to be doing fine so im not to worried about it. I just thought that its weird that they say 300 gallons.. i also didn't know there was a order limit that i found after you pointed it out.. is it weird that the LFS around me don't offer any kind of warranty or anything? i thought most places did?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Not sure what size your tank is but I wouldn't consider a panther grouper for anything smaller than the recommended size. They get to almost 2 ft in length really fast and create alot of biological waste. I don't think keeping a ray in a 100g is a good idea either as most are rated a minimum of 180g. Just remember you aren't buying the fish for the size it is now but the size it will become and thoughts of upgrading and upsizing your tank seldom come to fruition over the long run putting undue stress on it's inhabitants.