this sounds to good to be true

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Awesome, i thought it would be really over stocked with so many=D now i can tell my grandma who really is interested in them where to get them after i'm finish researching them for her and after we move in january *hopefully*.

sounds like crap to me. you can get that exact tank at wally world for like $20. it comes with a UGF (WTF???) and sand. sand doesnt even work with UGFs. they dont tell you the kind of hermit or snail, the wattage of lights, or the kind of plant they send. they dont say anything about how to care for the seahorses either. and they dont mention LR once. IMO they rope people into buying it through the coolness of having a seahorse and then give them absolute crap.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Prices is another link away from the buying page *haven't been able to read it all*

i bought my 5 gal at 8 dollars lol<.<

compared to the price of the sea horses and other things alone it's cheaper through the deal lol.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Well, I wasn't really looking at the tank or the price, I was just saying that it wouldn't be overcrowded. I assume from my limited research the UGF is because dwarf seahorses aren't supposed to have power filters.

"Filteration: I believe the best kind of filter to use when dealing with dwarfs is a sponge filter. It is very wasy to use and all you need to do is clean the sponge once a month. Bio wheele filters can be used to if you fix them up a bit. You need to put a sponge over the intake of the filter so that baby brine and dwarf fry do not get sucked up." From that website I put a link to.

As far as the tank itself, I agree with Yahoo. The only way it's a good deal is if those seahorses are freaking expensive (which is possible I guess, they are SW). Anyway, I'd do a sponge filter and sand. The seahorses apparently like the sand.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i'll post over their in the morning or afternoon when ever i get some freetime to come online and when my eyes are'nt hanging out of the sockets from sleepyness ^^'.

^^ thank you for not being upset by me posting this in the wrong board.

Sep 19, 2006
HTML:
http://www.floridacollector.com/order.htm
so if your bought one of those all inclusive tanks with heater/filter/hood etc from walmart for $30-$35, and the 5gal dwarf seahorse ranch from here for $50 (which includes more seahorse and more plants and other various animals), went and got the appropriate salt water stuff (clueless here) from LFS for let's say $30 (which isn't included in the one in question)...... you'd have a bigger, nicer tank with more seahorses and other live crap......and spend about $110.... the other one you're looking at you would still need to get the appropriate salt water stuff.....so the difference is the price of food....

nope sorry doesn't seem like a real great deal to me, because you really need to get the tank, set it up, make sure if you're going salt water that you have all the appropriate stuff......then get the fish or you'll probably end up killing them and then having to order more (which the link you're looking at says $45ish a pair...my link $15/pair) so by the time you finish with your 2 gal aquarium you could easily have $200 into it, or have a 10gal aquarium with at most $150 NOT including shipping on any of this.

Not to mention, I personally would have a real hard time buying from a company that has been in buisness for 38 years and when you click on link of picture of an "aquarium kit" (which appears to be freshwater at the link) and it's a cartooned up picture of a sea horse farm. Somehow, I would expect after 38 years they would have acutally thought to take a REAL picture of the product they are selling. But, that's just me.

The real question is did you set out looking to set up a salt water tank? or just a small fish tank with something interesting in it?

Oct 15, 2006
Its a terrible deal. At Petsmart, I got a 10 gallon hex kit with a visi-therm heater, fluorescent lighting, topfin filter, food and chemical packets, a sticker thermometer, and a bunch of instructions. for 55 dollars

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There's a really great book on dwarf seahorses. I suggest you buy it for your grandma for Christmas, so she can read up on it. They're not that hard to keep, from what I've read, but they do need a lot of care (like daily live baby brine shrimp). The book gives detailed instructions on tank setup for dwarf seahorses.

Amazon.com: The Complete Guide to Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium: Books: Alisa Wagner Abbott

You should also make sure you get tank-raised seahorses, as they're being overcollected in the wild.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
>___> scarey thing is my grandma can't read, but i may go ahead and buy the book and read up about them and then try to tell my grandma the price and such and all the info about them as i can find ,that is as soon as i get any money.