thoughts on diatomic filters

Jan 6, 2006
does anyone have strong opinions about diatomic filters one way or another?
all the ads look great but i'm having trouble finding any real user reviews. my LFS said they break down and probably won't sell them much longer because diatom powder contains carcinogens. i've been pondering purchasing one for a long time because i can't seem to get my water as crystal clear as i'd like it. let me know your thoughts. specifically i'm looking at the vortex.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i love them, if they werent so expensive i would have one myself, the thing with the diatoms is that you dont need to run them all the time just use it when you have cloudy water or an algae bloom or when you want your tank to look its best, it is not a filter built to run continuously, when i used one for an algae bloom i only ran it for about an hour and it did wonders, and yes the powder is not the healthiest stuff in the world, but it truely does work wonders.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Diatom filters used to be all the rage, but I think there popularity has decreased do to the messiness and trouble of using one. Also, other products that do a similar job haven't helped diatom filter popularity. Stuff like UV filters, activated carbon, micron mesh (to be used in filters), and the Python (yes, water changes can help make your water clearer) have de-popularized diatom filtration. I wouldn't mess with one myself.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A lot of people recommend using a HOT Magnum filter with the micron filter in it. You can use diatom powder in it occasionally, if you want. The nice thing is that it can be easily moved between tanks, and can be used as a permanent or back up filter, too. Just a suggestion :)