Thoughts on the GUlf Spill

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
So, I know that a few of you (TRe is in the vicinity) of the Gulf oil spill which is now reaching it's way to the beautiful reefs of FL.

Oil would kill mangroves, corals - Sun Sentinel

At this point, I almost feel bad for feeling bad about getting native wildlife from these areas. I am glad that I have some mangroves as many will now die due to this disaster. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on possible "rescue missions" for this area. I'm a bit too far to do much (9+ hours) but from looking at the possible trajectory of the oil and it's path if it takes the natural loop current it could effect the entire East Coast coastal waters.

YouTube - OIL SPILL

I live right outside of Savannah, Georgia. I have a ten gallon "ER" tank that is filled with snails and a 2 mangroves (that can be moved back into my 55.) As you can see from Day 132 the oil could hit my area (not as bad as FL, LA, etc.) but can travel here before too long. Anyone have any thoughts on me going to my local beaches and saving what wildlife I can fit in my ten gal. on or around the time of this occurrence? I was thinking if oil did hit any animals I could quarantine them into a separate tank to "clean" them out before putting them into my ten gallon then releasing them when the waters are clean again. Sure I can't save any fish sadly enough unless I get a net for those purposes but I can save hermits, perhaps some other small inverts.

Naturally I can't put them into my 55 gal. they aren't meant to coincide with my established ecosystem. But in my ten gallon there's really not much in there to harm that my puffer won't eat if I put them in my 55.

Anyone else have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? I mean, I know I can do much, especially being just one person. But for every little critter I can save that's one less that's dead, right? And one more that can be re introduced into it's native habitat, when the habitat itself is stable enough again.

Any suggestions and thoughts are welcome. Thanks guys. I'm sure all of you are as upset by this disaster as I am as we all love our little "ecosystems". At least we can be proud that our fish are swimming toxin free. And perhaps it's best that we did get them from the wild at this point. At least if they came from the gulf.