Thoughts on these

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well my pc lights broke lastnight when I was messing with the tank.. I don't wanna get any more bulbs but i need supplement lights.. I wouldnt mind t5s but i dont have much room so i was checkin out ebay and ran across these..
24" 30 LED Moonlight Aquarium Moon Light & Power Supply - eBay (item 260389203380 end time Apr-12-09 20:04:57 PDT)

any thoughts or opinions would be great.. also if you go to saltycritter.com they sell PFO moonlights for like 20 bucks and are supposed to light a 2' area..

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'd probably try to find out some more info before jumping into the LED. Most of the ones with a price that low are normally less than a watt with very low Lumen output making them good for moon lights and that's about it. You won't get anywhere near the intensity out of those as your old PC's. From what I understand there's only a handful of LED's on the market that are really useable for *actual* lighting. I priced some out a little while ago on Cree LEDs - Led Driver - Led Fixtures - Led Optics - Luxeon LEDs - LED Supply.com along with drivers and optics (LOTS of debate on optics) and to do *one* of my rack tanks was going to cost over $800 US before shipping (don't remember the exact # sorry). The emitters alone were ~$15 each.

Also, keep an eye on PFO stuff... They didn't play nice with a company that had intellectual property copy rights and have found themselves in court. Last I heard they had already done a MAJOR downsizing and there was *talk* about them going under. Either way though, almost every retailer I've seen that did cary their LED stuff was or had cleared them out and there's even been a few clearing out the rest of the PFO stock. If you just want a cheap moon light... By all means! but if it burns out prematurely you might not be able to get any work done on it.

So the T5's won't fit on your tank? After almost a month mine FINALLY came, I could take some measurments if you want.

Chris

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I could probably make them fit if I had to.. I guess its more of a price thing when it really comes down to it.. The ebay moonlings are 45 shipped.. Doubt im gonna get a good t5 fixture with bulbs for 45.. I dunno ill keep looking

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I happen to have an orbit 24 inch pc fixture with 2 x 65w pcs and moonlights which would be sufficient for your zoas? The problem is I am leaving town and won't be able to ship it to you until after the 15th when I get back from vacation....it could be yours in trade? Shoot me a pm if interested