Three Spot Gouramis

paige

Medium Fish
Jun 26, 2006
Burleson, TX
Can I put 2 three-spot gouramis in a 46g? I've heard they were aggressive but wasn't sure how aggressive. They would be in there with zebra danios and furcatus rainbows (small, very active fish). I'm having trouble deciding on larger 'centerpiece' fish...so hopefully the gouramis will be okay.

Lorazoo

Medium Fish
Jun 18, 2006
that should be okay. If you have plants and things to break sight lines even better. 46g should be enough for them to establish seperate territories. It's just no guarantee. I had 2 dwarf gouramis in a 120 and one still picked on the other and the less dominant wound up just dying before i could set up the tank to seperate them. I think it was stress b/c he showed no signs of sickness but was hiding alot and was chased around everytime he came out. If its possible you could get a male and a couple of females and avoid all of those problems.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
i have a threespot and a dwarf in a 20gal, they are totaly fine together, there is some agression at feeding time, but then there always is with most fish. so i would say yes, you can definatly have 2 in a 46g

fishlover1

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
i have one with my other gouramis (see sig) and hes fine...but he is also my smallest gourami...but i think 2 will do fine together if you get 2 females.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Stores don't separate the female/male gouramis except for the dwarfs (cause they look so different), so I suspect you have really seen males and just didn't know it. They also all have rounded fins at first, they have to grow out a bit to become pointy in the males.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
If you have a big enough tank with plenty of hiding places, you should be ok. The one in that picture looks like a female. Half of the gouramis I have in my 55 are male, and all is well.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
I would get 1 male or 2 females, or 1m/2f. Two males will likely kill each other. It probably works well in your tank, Jeremy, because you have more than 2 gouramis.

Paige, if all you can find is males, then I'd get either 1 male or a group of them...like 4. That way the aggression will be distributed among them. Having only 2 males is asking for trouble IMO. Opaline gouramis (blue, 3-spot) are among the most aggressive gouramis. I have a male 3-spot in my 29g and he chases my glowlights, neons, and cories.

Last edited: