tiger barb tank

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
A school of 6 or more is usually recomended. This reduces their aggressivness towards other fish in the community tank because they spend more time chasing eachother than paying attention to the other fish. As for what to put with them...I personally wouldn't put tiger barbs in a community myself due to their aggressive nature, but if you really must make sure whatever you put in is larger than the barbs. Make sure you add the barbs to your tank last as well. That may help them from picking on other fish because they have no staked territory.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
go with atleast 6, but the more you have the less aggression there will be. you could add fish that swim at other levels than the barbs, that way they do not come in contact as much, like a group of cories. A bigger fish doesnt always mean the barbs wont pick on it, especially if it has long fins, like an angel fish

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
Don't know what to tell you. Some people house a group of tiger barbs and have no problems with them at all...but a lot of people do have issues with them. Just look on the net. Most comments people make about this fish are that they're aggressive fish and tend to terrorize the tank...just like red tailed sharks. If you're determined to house tiger barbs, red tailed or rainbow sharks would actually be a good choice for tank mates. What you do have going for you is a nice large tank. The barbs will be a little less aggressive in a large tank. They may also do well with giant danios, dwarf chilchids, and I have a friend who has his in with some clown loaches.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I would not put a rainbow shark in with tiger barbs (I had 10). I have done this in the past and the shark attacked the weaker barbs nipping most of there tails off :( , maybe this is not the norm and I was just unlucky!!! Keep they with somthing short finned and fast. *thumbsups

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
you guys are making tiger barbs sound horrible, i olny have 3 at the mo and there fine ( getting more soon though ), i had mine with harlequins, zebra danios, swordtails, rts, opaline gouramis, plecos and clown loaches and theres never been any problem. Yes tiger barbs can be mean son of a b*****s, but you are making them sound all bad when most of the time they're really there not..

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
I never said that they're all bad. I just warned that many people do have problems with them. Some people don't follow the rule of 6 or more and keep them in small aquariums with long finned fish and have no problems at all. Those people are lucky. But in general barbs are considered to be aggressive. I'm just giving a heads-up.

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
Why don't you get something that you can also put with your angels in the other tank if things don't work out? You never know...your barbs may end up being totally fine with other fish. But if they aren't you can always transfer your fish over to the angel tank. Just make sure you leave room in your angel tank for other fish until you've decided if the barbs and what you get are compatible or not.

J'sRamAir

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2003
Lexington, SC
www.geocities.com
I think I'd consider tiger barbs semi-aggressive and not aggressive...just like red-tail and rainbow sharks. In fact, I too was going to suggest red-tail or rainbow sharks. Stevie 'may' have been the exception to the rule, but when you're dealing with semi to aggressive fish you never know how they are going to react to one another. Besides, the bigger the sharks get the meaner they get. It usually becomes noticeable when they get to be around 3.5-4" long. I say try that and if it doesn't work out take the red-tail/rainbow sharks back.

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
do what i did..have a barb tank...there are many diff species of barbs..i have 4 diff types of barbs and 1 red tail shark...my tank is always active...give it a thought go to lfs and look at all the barbs

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Don't let what we have said put you off, tigers are great I had no problem with them, only with my red tailed shark (the little*^&*£$%) Tigers, like most fish can be good and bad I would say go for them, Im thinking of setting up a tiger only tank myself!!