tiger barbs and moving a tank

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
How far will you be transporting the fish.

if its only a short way get some fish bags from your lfs. or just some clear bags that wont leak.

if its a long distance, and the fish are going to be in there a long time maybe you might need a heat pack.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
that would be ok then, to put them in fish bags for the transportation.

but i suppose you will be draining the tank for transport and then setting it up again somewhere else. in that case make sure you keep the filter sponges wet so the bacteria doesnt die out.

and if you could keep some of the water from the tank before you drain it and add it when you set up the tank again, i think it might help.

where do you plan to put the barbs when you are home. if you have another fish tank it would be good to put them in there why the tank settles.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Fish bags would work, also tupperware containers work well for transporting fish short distances. Definately keep the filter wet, the gravel from the tank too if possible. Try to also keep a bucket of the water from the tank to add to the new tank when it is set up.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
the reason for keeping as much from old as possible is to speed up and help the bio cycle when you get it set in your place. If you cant keep all the gravel at least try to get a cup full of it. Water i would suggest at least 5 gallons depending on size of tank your buying... filter is a biggie... keep it wet and it will help out major when your at home. don't forget to get something called stress coat... it conditions water and replace slime coating on fish for the big move they are doing.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If it is bigger than a 20 gallon (not 20 long) then I would strongly discourage you to move the tank with anything in it.

Your best bet is to run down to Lowes and get a few buckets (they have nifty 5 gal buckets with skooshy handles grips -- fish stuff is HEAVY!). Fill one half way and put the fish in it (you'd be amazed how much the water will slosh!), use one or two for the gravel and stuff the ornaments, etc in those buckets also if they fit, being sure that everything is covered by water. It is critical that the filter be kept wet and, when you're refilling the tank, that the first several gallons be dechlored before they hit the gravel. (use the buckets the gravel travelled to your house in for this step - you can always pop in the rest of the neccessary dechlor and fill the remainder of the tank with a "drinking water safe" hose) Once the water is the proper temp, pop the fish in and give them a few days to settle in before feeding them. If the person you're getting your fish from could fast them for a few days before the move it would be great. I've never brought water with me when I've purchased functioning tanks and have never had a problem, YMMV. The only water I've had has been the water the fish travelled in and maybe a second bucket with decor.

Since you're only moving the tank a few miles, the tap water should be very similar unless you're all on well water (which should match pretty closely as well) or different towns which have dramatically different water sources. The reason I suggest buying new buckets is because 1. you're going to need some committed "fish buckets" for maintenence anyways 2. you need buckets which haven't been used for anything which might affect the fish. 3 miles is nothing for a move -- take your time and do it right, get your tank set up just the way you want now (and don't forget to leave space for the filter when you set it against a wall!) ;)

Congrats and good luck!

Last edited: