tiger barbs & chery barbs

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
tiger barbs & cherry barbs

Will tiger barbs school with cherry barbs or any other barbs?

Furthermore, where can I find this information? I've read a bunch of profiles on them and they never mention it. Just that they will nip at slower fish in the tank.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Tigers and cherries are very different fish in shape and temperament. I've never had them together in a tank but would doubt they would school. You were going to move just the tigers to your 10, correct? Why not add a couple more tigers to the mix -- maybe some albinos and give them some roots or such to play around? I don't think there really would be room for a school of cherry barbs also in there.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Okay, thanks for the info. If they would all school together then I would add the cherry barbs. But I agree, two different schools in the 10 would be too much. Adding more tigers is prolly the way to go.

Are there any other varieties of barbs that will school with the regular and albinos? Also, what's a good number overall in the 10g? The ones I have are maybe 1½" each. My little CAE will be moving, too - at least for now.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I've heard 5-6 is a good amount to have and it'll make them feel more secure and therefore calm them down some so they'll be less likely to nip other fish.
Don't take my word for it but Green Barbs should mix quite well with Tigers.They are basically a green version of a Tiger Barb anyway.If you catch them in the right light you can even see the black stripes.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
yeah they will. i had 3 regulars, 3 greens, and 3 albinos, for a short time once in my 50g, and they all schooled together as if they were the same variety. my plan eventually was to have 6 of each variety, but i gave up on that plan after i realised i wanted some more peaceful fish.

MaryPa

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2005
Glen Rock Pa.
Honestly a 10 gal isn`t too good for barbs because it increases their aggression. Yes green barbs are the same as tiger and will do well with them in a bigger tank. Cherry barbs are as aggressive as tigers but if you go with a larger tank having 5 or more tigers they`ll ignore the other fish.
What type of pleco is in your 29 gal?

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Just a common pleco. I'm planning on moving the 4 barbs and the CAE to the 10g. They're not too aggressive now. But they're always being bothered by the rainbow shark. Don't think they'll be okay with only the CAE in a 10g?

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Hmmm. Now I'm thorughly confused.

So moving the 4 tigers to the 10g is a no no because that's too small for them?

Okay, please suggest how I might accomplish these two things: 1. stop the stress on the tiger barbs caused by the rainbow shark, 2. make the 29g suitable for the addition of a pair of angelfish.

The 10g is cycling now, and when done can be a new home for any of my fish to. Also, I'm not opposed to trading in the shark or possibly even the barbs. Seems to me you guys are saying the 10g is no good for the barbs because of swimming room? Or is it that the 10g will be overstocked? My wife and I want to go with a few live plants in the 10g, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all your help, peeps.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
the 10g is no good for the barbs as they are very active and a 10g doesnt really give them enough swimming room. neither rainbow sharks or tiger barbs make good tank mates for angelfish. the rainbow cant go in the 10g either. Sounds like your definately going to have to get rid of the barbs, and the shark too if you still want angelfish.