kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I was thinking of getting some for my 55 gallon tank. I have
10 danio
5 corys
5 otos

in there right now. From what I read is that these are semi aggressive but only if kept in small tanks or in small schools. I would like to get at least 6 to keep a school. How many should I add at one time? My tank is finally stable and has been for a few days solid now.

I was also thinking of the silver dollars but I think I like the tiger barbs better.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
id recommend tiger barbs over silver dollars as there smaller and wont eat yor plants :p. I think 6 tiger barbs would be fine in that tank, add them all at once so that they can sort out their pecking order.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Nope...just as long as you haven't added anything else since your tank finished up. Its a big enough tank that 6 tb's should be fine as far as your bioload goes. (you added 3 more ottos? when?)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree. I also agree that the tiger barbs are a better choice than the silver dollars...you'll have a very active interesting tank to look at with all of those fast moving crazy fish ;)

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
TIGERS! TIGERS! TIGERS!................Sorry,but the more posts I read about them,the more I hate myself for swaping mine for angels (although angels are cool in their own way)
I have kept both tiger barbs and dollars,and the tigers are waaaaaayyyyyy cooler. Not only will the dollars eat EVERY plant you have they are very jump,every time I turn on the lights,they freak out!!!! However if you turn on the room lights first its not so bad. Oh,oh and tigers look better too. Just watch out for nips!!!!

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I wish I could turn my tank into just a tiger barb tank. How many could fit in a 55 gallon if I didn't have the danios? I would have to wait a few years though not sure what to do with the danios. Now I can't wait to get them.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
heh well I think danios and tiger barbs would get along just fine :) but if you really wanted to just only put tiger barbs in a 55 you could probably fit....12? But with the cories and ottos taking up the bottom level...I dont think you'd have issues with them crossing paths much.

Even with the danios in there I bet you could do a group of 6 or 7?

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yeah. I think I will start with 6 in a few days to a week. From what I read with their pecking order it is best to add 6 not less and if you want to add more later it should be another 4-5 minimum. That if I did that would overcrowd my tank and make extra work for me :) So will start with 6 then call the tank complete and go from there. I am so excited.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Ok so me and the kids were bored tonight and we went to PetsMart to look at the Tiger Barbs. I can't wait. They said they only get 2" I read online 4" so I guess it is somewhere in between.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I usually calculate 4 because I dont think they actually get that long...but they become little tanks...like big around?

haha already draggin the kids to petsmart for field trips :D Thats awesome. My roommate and I aren't allowed to go there anymore because we spend too much money...for some reason if we're alone we dont spend as much haha

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
6-8 sounds good if your keeping the z danions (spl?) in there as well,witch is a good idea cause the tend to stay at the top of the tank. So,you will have danions (spl?) near the top,tigers in the middle and ottos and stuff on the bottom!!!!!

Froggy is right (as usual!!!) about them getting fat,they turn in to little roundies!!!!! lol

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Good News I got my Barbs.

Now the bad news:

My husband came home with 10 *eek* *gasp* and a few days early then I was planning on buying them. He did this last night to surprize me as well you don't need all that info...

anyway this morning one was dead, another was alive but with huge red lesions that were open.

I took both back to PetsMart where they told me my water quality was bad. They didn't test the water I had because the fish was in it. I have tested water every day
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate under 5

the other barbs are just hanging out at the top not swimming or anything.

My other fish are behaving normally.

They told me to buy Melafix to treat tank and that the other barbs will be fine so I put one dose in the tank (that stuff stinks)

anyway that is where I am at and now I feel like I wasn't listening to great advice from you all. My husband was trying to be nice after a huge blowup fight.

Thanks

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey...his heart was in the right place. :) At least he didn't go out and get like 10 angelfish or something right!! He at least listened enough to know what you wanted, even if he got a few too many.

As for Petsmart saying your water quality was bad?? I would be SO MAD if I were you. They didn't test your water?? HOW can they tell you that your water quality is bad if the NEXT DAY you bring a dead fish in? Thats rediculous. I would take all of the barbs back, demand your money back, demand that they refund your money for the melafix. Unfortunately if its something in your tank your healthy fish will already have been infected. Did you leave the dead and hurt one at Petsmart? (hopefully)

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
My husband brought water on his way to work they tested
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

they refunded money for 2 fish, said they would do the same for others when they die. *rolleyes* So now I have 8 which is 2 more then planned. Should I continue with the Melafix?

This is the only place I can buy my fish so have to stay somewhat on good terms.