Tiger Tail

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well I decided to get one. I acclimiated it for about 2 hours via drip method. After putting it in it searched around then found a hiding spot. He has been there since I put him in yesterday. Well he was still there when I left for work this AM. This is common? Also what are the physical signs of it going bad? Shedding or what? What would it's insides look like?

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
i have 4 or should say i had... one died today. The one that died showed no symptoms i came home and he was floating upside down. I believe my nitrites level killed him... The others seem to be doing well. I tested my waters and found my nitrites jumped past 2.0 ppm so time for w/c. but good thing is i have nitrates showing up so cycle is almost complete just gotta get the nitrites to drop. I would watch for normal illness signs, see if he is twitching against stuff, or gasping for air... that type of thing, do you add any stress coat to water during adding of fish?

I think stress may have killed mine as the guy that got them from LFS pulled them out of tank and then reached in net in the air, grabbed one at a time by hand and put in bag... so i think he overstressed the fish by doing it that way... so next time i am going to tell him to to put them back and grab them gently not roughly.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Grumpy M.... Joe I belive is talking about a "Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber".
And did you say your tank is cycling and you have 4 fish in there...? Why do you have fish in your system if your tank is still cycling?

Joe I have no experiance with the tiger tail... sorry, I had a Pink/Green cuc before but it died on me during my tank transfer when I moved.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Mine are black and they both started moving around the tank soon after I put them in after acclimation. Keep an eye on it and if it hasn't moved I would be moving it to a qt or some other place where if it is dying it won't take out anything else with it.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
He was on the move last night. He was in the sand this AM before I left for work. He is a lot slower than I expected him to be.

Grumpy, I don't think you are ready for anything in your tank. I would stop and read the stickies on this forum before proceeding.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe they can't get stuck in rockwork. They have this amazing ability to get through the tiniest space and if they got in they can get out...unlike some snails etc.....If you think it is stuck and you try to get it out you will only stress it out and who knows what that outcome would be.....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no...mine is constantly on the move around the sand bed. Though the small one in my 20 sometimes goes deep into the rockwork and I may miss him a day or so......he also sometimes climbs up the glass and I have caught him in my pre-skim box. (so I removed it)

If her were a gonner, you would know as he would have nuked your tank......so he must be in there somewhere.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I figured that. I think there is a under ground cave in my one rock. My cuc, YWG, and firefish live in that one rock. There must be a lot of food in that rock because he never comes out all the way. Maybe once a week I would see him in a different area.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm good question. you can't force them out where ever they are. I have only had mine go awol for a couple of days. Are you sure he isn't coming out at night?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
splitting???????

like an anemone?

I have never heard of that, I do know that they lay eggs that are deadly if eaten by your fish. Though I would think you need a pair to do that.