Time to get serious about my choice of fishes

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
If someone has the time , I would like these fish put in order of what I should buy, from first to last, It may take me a long time to get these fish I am in no hurry, one or two at a time, I know that some of these I may have to buy at the same time because they are in the same family of fishes. The fish with asterisksh by their names are the fish I really want, the others can come off the list because, I have to many on the list because of tank size, they are to aggressive or for what ever reason ya"ll can think of that they don't need to be on the list. Hopefuly at least one or two of these fishes will be good at helping me cycle the tank. My wife told me its to early to do this, but I said you have to have a plan.

Yellow Tang *
Blue Tang *
Powder Blue Tang
Flame Angel *
Bicolor Angel fish *
Maroon Clown Fish (2) *
Mertensii Butterfly Fish *
Diagonal Bar Prawn Goby *
Red Head solon Fairy Wrasse
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
Fire Fish (2)
Blue / Green Reef Chromis (3)
Bicolor Foxface *
Bartletts Anthias

Long List LOL

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Tangs in last not first I'd say. Put the 3 Chromis in first and cycle with them if you are going to do it with fish off that list. You can also leave them in the tank as they won't get big and pugnacious like a lot of damsels do.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
i wouldn't cycle with fish, just LR. i agree with quaddity to put the Chromis in first as 'live fish'.

i would definitlely put the tangs in together. i might put the tangs in RIGHT BEFORE the clowns. the clowns should also be introduced together, and will become very possessive of their 'established' territory.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
The list I posted is not in the order I was going to put them in the tank, its just the way I wrote them down. Is the list to long? I kinda wanted to get a black clown, I didnt think I could, but I saw a nice tank on You Tube, they had both kinds in their tank.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2008
PA
so u want a black clown AND a maroon clown? not sure if your tank is large enough. the ony place ive seen it done was in a 700g tank at thatpetplace. maybe you can do it in smaller but i have not seen it.

Jun 7, 2008
india
you can cycle the tank in many other ways
but what would do if i ver you
i put the 100% live rock and cycle and wait for 2 months without anyfish
but you will gain confidence with this
if you buy fish now and put live rock later it will ruin everything
i think(if any parasite occurs through your rock what are you gonna do
my experience says
use live rock and some food to cycle the tank
it is a long time but great fruit
trust me
your wife is saying 100% correct ...listen to her
if you put some fish to cycle ...even if they remain alive ....high amonia ,nitrite,nitrate,unstable ph will lower their life

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
sunnymittu you're cycling your tank overstocked full of fish and anemones you should listen to your own advice.

Your water parameters will tell you when your cycle is complete. With fully cured rock it will be short probably a week, could be sooner.

I started my 90 gallon up with all LR from running tanks. There was a slight cycle. The spike was over in about 5 days.

Don't mix the clowns that would be a brawl unless they set up house at opposite ends of the tank.

Jun 7, 2008
india
i bet best ways is this as by hearing by your people veiws
clean the tank,add water,sand,rock,poweron ,wait for 2 months with using uncured live rock
as they contain diffrent types of deseases which then grow in the tank
they need to be left alone for 2 months
one of my friends call them DEVILS ROCK AS THEY MAKE STRANGE SOUNDS IN DARK TO A PERSON ..IF LISTENED CAREFULLY
THESE ROCKS ARE MADE ANGELS WITH NO FISH FOR 2 MONTHS
THEY ARE EVIL WHEN KEPT WITH A FISH IN STARTING
BELIEVE ME

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Ive never heard of rocks having deseases.. or devil rocks for that matter.. Just listen to quaddity and matt.. You really don't wanna put 2 clowns b/c they will probably fight as stated.. Good luck with everything! And post lots of pics lol

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
second on the clown issue....mixed clown species may work with more docile varieties of which maroons are not....nor are clarkiis..... (from experience)

Just make sure the pair of maroons is mated pair unless you are prepared to try matching them yourself and are prepared to separate them if they don't pair up. They are much more difficult to pair up than a pair of percs.... you have a great size tank with many options....just take it slow.....add the most docile fish first then add them in order of their aggressiveness......btw...chromis can be aggressive if added first.....but in that size tank you may not have a problem......

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I miss spoke again, I am not going to cycle the tank with fish, I am going to put my live rock in the tank, let that cycle, put a few of my clean up crew in, wait awhile and then put somemore of my clean up crew, when the clean up crew is all in then I will yjink about putting a fish or two in the tank.