Time to upgrade lighting.... any feedback on these?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Is this for real? That is a very good deal. I have checked prices of MH's on other sites and nothing below $350 with the same specifications as above. I don't know sounds too good to be true. Has anyone purchased anything from that site??

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Do some research and reading in the forums. I have read horrible reviews from people that purchased lights from Odyssea and Aquatraders. In fact I have read of people's lights actually causing fires....and apparently they are not UL approved so insurance comes into play...this information may or may not be true it was just something I read in a forum somewhere, I am trying to find that thread....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ive heard there mh's have caught on fire in the past from auquatrader but i ordered my over flow from ther since it was so cheap lol:eek: when i saw there 260w pc setup for $99 i was in denial that id even ever get my overflow but they gave me a tracking number and everything so well see...

Last edited:

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
The price is very good. I have been looking all over for about 2 weeks for new lights and this is definately the best price out there. There is a seller on Ebay that has the same picture as the "aquatraders" but the name in the pic is "HOMBBY".
The light hood I have now would work nicely for a retrofit but I would still be spending more than for the unit/link I posted.
I would hate to spend $250 to start a fire when I can do that myself for free *BOUNCINGS

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i just found these testimonials in some forum:

It's kind of a hit or miss deal with them at times.
Definitely cross off metal halide lighting (anyone wanting that from them), that's the most common product they have that catches fire, stops working, etc.
If you need the lighting for a side thing, or for a semi planted tank, they're good...but I wouldn't trust them.
Personally, i'm ordering a few filters and lighting systems from them when I start breeding fish and selling plants.
They have a distribution contract with JEBO/Odyssea (a Chinese manufacturer) to sell in the US markets. The products are mostly junk, poorly made and my recommendation is to avoid them.
If you dare disassemble or study their products in any detail you will learn that they truly cut every corner in production and quality to get you those prices. Lots of cheap plastic, rough edges, and pieces that don't quite fit together.
However, if you are not demanding or picky about your hardware, and are just looking for a short-term fix, they have filters and lights that "work", and some on this board are happy with them.
IME with this company, you are really getting what you pay for. Low quality, shorter life products, but probably on target for the price.
and here's a link with pictures of what happened to someone's lighting This is why you do not do business with Aquatraders PICS - Nano-Reef.com Forums

as much as i'd want to go cheap for some of their stuff, i'd say it's just not worth it...but sterilizers!? lol, what could go wrong with them? it's kind of tempting...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We had an Odyssea CF fixture that died one day after about 18 months or so. The ballast died, which makes the whole thing junk, basically. I really think it's worth saving a little longer and getting something that's of a better quality. I've heard rumors that the newer fixtures are better, but I know I'll never buy another light fixture from them.

There would be nothing worse than having your corals' light die at the wrong time, when you don't have money to get a new one or can't get one within a few days. I like to think of the entire cost of redoing a dead tank when I consider trying to cut corners on vital equipment.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Junk, lots of bad reviews. Buy once, buy right.
What can go wrong with sterilizers - 1. , they don't work, 2., water in and out means leaks - ever mopped up a 50 gallon or so? Ever wondered what that does to $100 per square yard parkett floor?

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Well... I have another question for lighting.
Instead of having a 150W MH and 2 96W PC's, I think I will look at 4 x 96W power compacts(PC's).
That's 384W right there.... I don't plan on getting into stonies but would rather have softies... zoanthids, mushrooms, anemones and the like...

I figured two actinics and two daylight on the same style timer as if you had a MH. Does anyone have softies without MH and uses PC's and what type of experience have you had?

Or would looking into retro kits for T5's or VHO's or something else be better?
I'm mainly looking for the best I can work with for about $250 or so...

Oh yeah... the depth of my tank is about 23 inches....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
From what I've read, the T5 fixtures with individual reflectors are the best. With those, you can apparently grow SPS, too (upper part of tank, obviously). Unfortunately, I don't have experience with them, but the Tek brand and Aquatinics brand have been mentioned. I'm not sure if those are within your budget, they might be a little over it.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Dadstank said:
Does anyone have softies without MH and uses PC's and what type of experience have you had?
you dont need mh if all u plan to have are softies... if youve never seen camaro's tank before he has pc you should take a look pretty promising ;) i aslo have lots of softies in my 55 under my 260w pc's though not nearly as nice as camoaro's :p check the video in my sig to see my tank