to bio ball or not to bio ball

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Hi everyone. I was told that bio balls should not be used in saltwater tanks and instead are more geared towards the freshwater aquariums. They said that in saltwater tanks they are nitrate traps or something to that effect. I'm new to saltwater but I've always understood that bio balls are actually intended for SW and not FW. I always see the "reef ready" tanks and the nano cubes and the such sold with filters that accomodate the bio balls. Am I just misunderstanding their use or am I getting bad information? Please help.

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Well, I just bought an aquapod online and from what I understand the only part of the filter/filter media that the built in filter comes with is the sponge part, so I bought the carbon, the media bags for the carbon, and the bio balls for the bio filtration. I intended the tank to be used for FW for now from the start so the bio ball info is a relief to hear but (and my wife doesn't know this yet) I plan on converting it to SW or maybe SW fish and reef mix so I needed to know for sure on the bio balls. I mostly got them with the conversion in mind but now I know not to use it. Thanks guys. If ya have more advice I could use it though.