To many or room for more???

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
Hi all...

So as i posted in another post i recently got a 55g tank. We are going to move all the fish from our current 10g tank and make a giant community tank and just wanted to know if I am planing on over doing it or if there is room for more and some suggestions.

Currently i have :
6 glass tetra
3 cory cat

we want to add:
3 upside down Cory
12 neon tetra
1 dwarf gourami
and between 6-10 glofish

also just want to dubble check on the dwarf gourami and make sure its a fish that wont eat the neons. From what I understand they are peaceful unless in a tank with another gourami.

Any suggestions appreciated! thanks again.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't believe you would be over stocked, but I will have to admit I am not a fan of Glow fish because they are artificial and not natural to the environment. Some people have refused to buy them and in fact its illegal to sell them in California unless something has recently changed.

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
Ya personally don't want them my girlfriend does... But they're at least altered b4 birth unlike my tetras who have dye injected in them (learned this after i bought them). But cool beans glad to hear thats not too much.

Oh and im in michigan so no worries on legality

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Should be good stocking. The upside down catfish are not actually cories, although they will get along with cories. They won't school with your current cories, and they get quite a bit bigger (around 6"). I would recommend you also get another 3 or so cories, so your current have a bigger group.

The gourami will be fine with neons.

Zephyrah

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2013
Oklahoma
Proper Aquarium Stocking: Rule #1

There are actually two "Rules of Thumb" concerning fish and aquarium size. The first is 1 gallon of aquarium for every 1 inch of fish. This rule applies to smaller fish species. You can easily keep 8 or even 10 neon tetras in a ten gallon aquarium. Ten tetras take up less room, generate substantially less waste and consume less oxygen than a single 10 inch Oscar.

Proper Aquarium Stocking: Rule #2

The second rule of thumb applies to larger species. It is 5 gallons of aquarium for every inch of fish. Accordingly, you would require a MINIMUM tank size of 50 gallons to accommodate a 10 inch Oscar. Note the word MINIMUM is capitalized. You will require a minimum of half that much space again for each additional fish in a community tank. So two 10 inch Oscars would need a minimum tank size of 75 gallons. These rules can be applied unilaterally in the aquarium world. They pertain to everything from cold water goldfish and freshwater tropical fish to saltwater species. These rules should be applied to the potential adult size of an individual species and not its size at the time of purchase. When in doubt, it is always best to error on the side of caution. Bigger is Always Better.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-on-Proper-Aquarium-Stocking&id=5427727

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5427727

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Currently i have :
6 glass tetra
3 cory cat

we want to add:
3 upside down Cory
12 neon tetra
1 dwarf gourami
and between 6-10 glofish

also just want to dubble check on the dwarf gourami and make sure its a fish that wont eat the neons. From what I understand they are peaceful unless in a tank with another gourami.

Any suggestions appreciated! thanks again.

That would be about 35 fish in a 55g? Most of which are tetras and danios so the bio load would be light.

In regards to the gourami, I've got a little dwarf flame gourami that's a bully, but he's in a 10g with only 3 silver hatchet fish and some inverts.

My 55g has a tiny honey gourami that's a sweetheart, as is the female pearl gourami in my 29g.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think you would be fine with more cories in addition to your other plans. Like Freshy said, most of the ones you are planning are small, and additionally you don't have much on the bottom, especially considering the amount of bottom space on a 55g.

I had 2 upside down cats in a 37g (they were from a friend's smaller tank). And they tend to hide a lot, even though they were the biggest fish - with angels, gourami, kuhli loaches. So they don't require the kind of room that, say, a 6" active danio would require. Mine came out at feeding time, and otherwise the big one would cram himself into a little cave most of the day.

Jbass88

Small Fish
Apr 13, 2013
Grand Blanc
very awesome glad to hear it. And from what ive read dwarf gourami are territorial if there isnt enough room for them to hide or if there is another dwarf in the tank. Again not 100% sure if thats true or not and every fish is different depending on upbringing and environment.

Mar 29, 2013
I have a 30 gallon, so far I have 3 platy, 2 mollies, 2 zebra and a bottom feeder. As well as 2 babies about 2 months old and 4 baby mollies about a month old (in a breeder tank). How many fish is a good amount for the size of my tank?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Rebecca, you might want to start a new thread for your topic, but you could stock some more in your 30g, like a school or two of tetras, rasboras, etc.

First off though, is this a brand-new tank? Did you establish a nitrogen cycle in it prior to adding fish?

IMO, livebearers like platys and mollies are messy (poop a lot), so I wouldn't consider those one of the "1 fish per 1 gallon" estimate. IMO, you're maxed on them. I would not put any more platys or mollies in a 30gal.

As much as Zebra Danios are nuts, I think 4 would be better than 2.

What bottom feeder do you have? If it's a corydora, you should have like 4-5 of them at a minimum.