To Tang or not to Tang?

Aug 17, 2008
I am relatively new to the saltwater hobby and I am trying to decide whether I should buy a Blue or yellow Tang, or neither. I've always loved the Tang fish in general, and I'd like to add a little color to my tank. I have a 50 gallon tank with a few decorations, two small clown fish, and a small damsel fish. I've read that the Blue Tang is less aggressive than the yellow Tang but is more prone to disease and can grow bigger, up to 12 inches. Is that true? And how long would it take to become that big?? I'm worried that I won't have enough room for that fish, or even a yellow one, but I've heard from others that they have had Tangs for a few years and theirs aren't more than 5 inches long. Is 50 gallons enough? And if I had to upgrade at some point, is 75 gallons big enough at that point? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I wouldn't put 1 in a 50gallon tank.. Some may say a 75 is to small also but i think a yellow would be fine in a 75.. Yellows are the easyiest to keep from what ive heard.. HTH

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A tang won't do well in a 50g tank. I think you could do a yellow tang in a 75g, but a blue tang needs something like 100g or more. Most recommend that you don't put a tang in a tank that's less than 5 feet in length as they need the swimming room.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i wouldnt evn consider a tang it that tank.... id say a 75g would be a minimum, i couldnt imagine my blue tang in anything less than 6' and evn that sometimes i feel is a bit on the small side... with that said how bout a nice wrasse?
HTH

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
ahhh Tre is right a blue tang needs the linear length provided by a 125 or larger... it is the footprint that needs to be 6' in length.....for them to get the appropriate amount of swimming room. The yellow (I have one in my 75g) can get by in a 75 but I think that is pushing it. A 55 is 4' too isn't it? which is why some say a 55 is okay for a yellow. I wouldn't but it beats being flushed I suppose.....I would be tempted to bag him up and take him to the local lfs for a trade on a nice coris wrasse or flasher wrasse or even a pygmy angel or other dwarf angel.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I had a yellow in a 75 fish only tank for a couple of years and it was a great fish. Loved to follow us around looking at us when we walked by. I'd say mine was about 6" head to tail. Hated to take him to the fish store when I moved and drained that tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
not to say they wont live in a smaller tank but just cause they can survive doesnt mean ther happy ;) and also remeber just cause someone else did it doesnt make it right or ok... i definitly wouldnt let him flush it (which i seriously doubt he would anyways) but take hime into the lfs! most will give u half of what they could sell it for in store credit

Aug 17, 2008
thanks!

I appreciate all of your comments. One question though in regards to the comment that a yellow tang could be okay in a 75 Gallon tank...I've read that a yellow tang actually needs more room to swim than a blue tang, even though they don't grow as large. Not sure if that's true, any thoughts? Also, off the subject, I don't have a protein skimmer...is this really necessary?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well before I added any more fish I would seriously consider getting a good skimmer to reduce the bioload on the tank. It can only benefit your tank and make things easler. I would seriously consider an hob type such as an aqua remora or equivalent with the maxijet upgrade......