Tobacco basslet and Eggcrate

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Picked up this guy the other day, tobacco basslet. Something out of the ordinary, and reefsafe, though I hear they might eat anything that can fit in their mouths fish or shrimp wise. Still a bit skitish, cant snap a decent photo showing his true patterns and colors. This fish can jump, I double checked and made sure he cant get out.

Oh... and I picked up some eggcrate and fit it to the top of my tank after seeing people mention it ;)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Thanks guys. That eggcrate lets so much more light through its crazy.

Panther, the eggcrate I picked up at Home Depot, took me forever to find it, didnt know where itd be), turns out its also called "lighting panels", so the lighting section of a hardware store would carry it.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Mushroomman said:
Panther, the eggcrate I picked up at Home Depot, took me forever to find it, didnt know where itd be), turns out its also called "lighting panels", so the lighting section of a hardware store would carry it.

Thanks for the info. I had looked in homedepot before but in the wrong department. now i know where to look. Thanks again.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Update- I was downstairs doing something and I looked into the tank, noticed the basslet floating around getting attacked by the clarkii clown.... took it out and put it in a bucket with a heater, looks to be alive but really torn up.... see what happens. Damn clown just tears through anything smaller than itself.

EDIT- fish is dead, just checked. Oh well so much for 18 bucks. If that clown kills another fish Im removing it, its kill count is at least 2 that I know of.

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
thats rough man, I knew that clarkis could be aggressive but not that overly aggressive towarda a basslet (I would think they would stick to more of there own species but I guess I was wrong)

what was the other fish he did in?

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yeah good idea... I was thinking of removing him from the tank then after a while, when all fish are added, add him back, the theory being that he wont be able to pick on the fish because they will be established and none will be alone and stressed to be singled out.... going to see if it works. If not, hes living alone.