May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I currently have a 10 gal with:

4 swordtails
2 guppies
3 zebra danio
2 corys
1 mystery snail

Im thinking I am over crowding my tank, but don't know who or how many I should move to my new tank (currently cycling)... Any idea's?

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well I'm not a good one to decide on overstocking ... I routinely push the limits. IMO I think you are fine as long as you do weekly vacuuming, water changles, filter cleaning, don't overfeed, etc. However, I hope you are thinking about when those livebearers have babies.

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I'm religious with the water changes and vacuuming, and I don't think I over feed... I think I'm pretty good with that... As soon as my other tank is done cycling I want to use it for all the expecting fry. Right now I only have one dalmation fry from my deceased molly that is in a breeding container... I'm thinking by Monday next week the other tank will be ready for my fry and my guppies...
My next big venture is setting my 55gal up so my husband can have his dempsey's he's been wanting... FUN! my out of control fry should come in handy with this tank as well... :eek:

Thanks for the input!

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
ohgollie_molly said:
My next big venture is setting my 55gal up so my husband can have his dempsey's he's been wanting... FUN! my out of control fry should come in handy with this tank as well... :eek:
Thanks for the input!
Now,maybe I have gotten the wrong end of the stick (I usualy do :rolleyes: ) but do you mean,your going to put the fry in with a Jack Demepsy???? Cause wont work,he will eat them all!! I dont think you could put any of you current fish in with a Jack,as they are quite aggresive. *thumbsups

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Stevie said:
Now,maybe I have gotten the wrong end of the stick (I usualy do :rolleyes: ) but do you mean,your going to put the fry in with a Jack Demepsy???? Cause wont work,he will eat them all!! I dont think you could put any of you current fish in with a Jack,as they are quite aggresive. *thumbsups

;) That is the idea ;)
The dempsey will help with my over population once my guppies go hog wild on each other.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
how bigs the nex tank? the swordtails are little to big for the 10g, so if the new tanks anything bigger than i would move them. then for your ten i'd probably get 2 more danios and another cory :).

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
The one currently cycling is a 15 gal.

So you suggest I keep my guppies and fry in the 10 gal. and put my swords and corys in the 15? That might work out better... The swordtails are definately bigger than my guppies.

Would you suggest that I put my dalmation fry into the swordtail tank as well when he/she is big enough?

Love the input!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think I'd probably put all of your adults into the 15 and put the fry into the 10. If you're going to keep any adults in the 10 I'd probably keep the guppies in there. It would be a mistake to leave the danios wherever your fry are going to be, or they'll be fish food before you have a chance to grow them out a little and feed them to the dempsey :) I think I'd also get a few more danios to go with your trio, just to keep them to themselves instead of nipping on your swords.

Rule of thumb with your dalmation should be that it can go into a tank with adult fish when it is too big to fit in any of their mouths...and still make sure there's plenty of hiding room in your adult tank for your platy fry. You'll get really good at netting the babies :) they love floating plants or the little dense plants on the bottom.