Too Much Ammonia in cycle?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
So..I proceeded to follow Iggy's fishless cycle guide and added ammonia to my tank until i got it to 5 ppm.

Then I re-read the guide and realized my mistake. My tank is only 3 gallons and I forgot that the guide said it wasnt for tanks under 5 gallons.

What should i do now? Should I just go through with it anyways? or should i shoot for a lower PPM since my tank is only 3 gals?

I am only putting 1 betta in my tank anyways so I dont need the tank to handle 5 ppm worth of bioload right off the bat.

Also, I put some plants in the tank..but should i take them out? I dont want them to melt from the high ammonia levels..

thanks

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
im not sure about what to do in terms of cycling under 5 gallons. i cant give you an answer to that, but what i can tell you is that, until somebody with some better knowledge on the matter sees this, that you should just do a bunch of water changes till you can get the ammonia back down to 0. that way it is just like starting over. the plants should be fine.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd probably do a water change of about 50% to take it down to 2 ppm or so. With live plants in there your cycle should go pretty smoothly I'd think, as long as you have enough light in there for them. Tanks under 5 gallons have to cycle just like big tanks...the process is exactly the same so I'd say following iggy's recipe is fine...just maybe tailor it down to a lower ppm than 5.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmmm ill do a water change then.

i used an ammonia test kit to measure the water after i dropped a bit of ammonia into the tank and it read 5 ppm.