Too much flaring is bad for betta?

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
Hi, I got 3 female and 2 male Siamese Fighter from a friend just recently. I raise them in a same big fish tank, with transparent compartments to split them. They display to each other a lot, male to female and male to male, even female to female. I am just wondering if this is good for them in a long term period? Will they get too tired until affecting their health?

Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks first.

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
Ok. Fortunately, they all eat when I feed them live brine shrimp or dried blood worm. Then, go back flaring to their neigbour, male and female. Ha.... looking very busy. Anyway, one or two or them are getting bored and doing nothing now.

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
I just let the 3 females live together today. They both flare at each other. Will this only temperory? I read somewhere that you can keep 3 or more females together but not two. Anyone have experience keeping females together?

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
How big is their compartment? If they didn't fight right off the bat, should be ok. Can they get away from each other? Enough decor to establish their own territory? If the conditions are atleast descent, then 3 females together is ok, but like people, fish have individual personalities too.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They should calm down pretty soon. If you notice that one is seriously miserable and doesn't seem to be able to get to the surface, then there is a problem, but barring that they should do fine together.

I really hope flaring too much isn't bad for a betta. My insanely aggressive betta will flare at you if you so much as sit down near his bowl.

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have a betta and all he does is flare at the back of the tank. I've got navy blue construction paper as a backing. The only break he takes is when he sees me ready to feed him. He's been that way for several months. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'd hoped he would get used to it by now. He spends all of his time at the back of the tank.

Bruckm said:
I have a betta and all he does is flare at the back of the tank. I've got navy blue construction paper as a backing.
ahahahahahaa I just recently put some dark blue construction paper up as a light blocker on Elmo's tank and he's OBSESSED...he doesn't flare, but he just sits and stares at it for hours on end...who knew it would be THAT interesting.

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I wonder if the construction paper somehow allows the back of the aquarium to reflect like a mirror. My betta did the same thing when I used a brown background of construction paper. Maybe the gloss on store-bought backing keeps it from a mirror effect. Just thinking.

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
I think that this post makes it an official spam...sorry! BUT, I hot glued a stained glass dragon fly and some glass pebbles to my betta bowl a few years back (the outside), he was quite intrigued and fascinated for a few weeks, now just 'visits' with it occasionally.