Too strong a filter.....

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
Okay I visited one of the LFS today and went a bit wild. I ended up getting 4 cory (which I already love) and 3 zebra danio for now. Unfortunately my filter is way too big for the danio. I found one sucked to the bottom of the grate (found it in time I think). Which leads to my problem. Do I switch back to the smaller filter I have, rated for a 15g or do I take the danio back and get stronger fish?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Is it a HOB filter? Just put a thick sponge cutting onto the intake. Itll slow the water flow, but also lower the sucking power so that fish wont get sucked in. clean that sponge every few days especially if you have live plants that are dropping leaves everynow and then.

Last edited:

AndiH

Large Fish
Sep 17, 2009
The Iron Range of Minnesota
Yeah its a HoB. Any specific type of sponge? I would really prefer to have a bigger filter on, but if a sponge will do the trick its alot cheaper than another filter.

Another, off topic question. My grandson loved watching the goldfish but now with the danios and the cory, theres little to catch his eye (he's only 1 year). Has anyone tried those green or pink danios? I don't mean the dyed ones, but the ones that were altered genetically?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
You mean them Glo-fish? no idea, i had never had an impulse to buy them. they do look bright and colorful. could be an attention grabber.

Any type of sponge that can fit over the intake. can be an aquaclear floss sponge element from the smallest size HOB filter. cut it to size. I am using a nylon sock fixed with a rubber band right now over my filter (mostly to prevent my Cabomba from sticking to it because it grows directly under, and next to the intake) so you could try that.

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
you mean glo-fish. i think they are cool, my wife put four of them in the 35 gallon (even thou i told her not to...) but they didnt last long with the tire track eel there is only one left. they are super active and colorful

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I read an article on the glo-fish they are geneticly modified tetras not danios and they look best with a black light, the article I read said they were modified to be a canary for water to show when water quality drops very little so they might not be that hearty

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
Glo-Fish

We had 2 green glo-fish and 1 disappeared and the other died because it was a mutant:eek:(scrawny and humped back, but not severly!lol!)
SO, very picky with water parameters and not hardy at all.
I would steer clear.