topping off the tank, but how much conditoner?

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Hi. This is my first posting and i am new to this forum.
Very excited, we just setup a beautiful 50 gallon fish tank.
My first question is when you top off the tank due to evaporation, how much dechlorinator do you need to use? I have Amquel, which does a great job since it neutralizes the ammonia (we have chloramine in our water), and it says to use 1tsp per 10 gallon.
The water level is just below the top frame and we want to bring it just above the bottom of the top frame, so maybe a gallon, at most, is needed.

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Welcome to MFT!

50gals, good way to start. Just add a few drops then i'd say, just try and cut the 1tsp-10gal dose down.

I would highly recommend you look into a dechlor product called Prime made by Seachem. Its dosed by drops. 2 drops per 4 gallons, a bottle lasts forever. A great product in my opinion that is a better buy then most if not all dechlor products out there.

tameem

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Denver
Oh ok, I was confused at first and I'm doing the math now. if you say If 1 mL equals 16 drops,
and based on the previous posting, 5mL equals 80 drops, which would equal 10 gallons. And 80 / 10 = 8 drops, so the math makes sense.
Thanks for all your replies. I was about to go get a medicine dropper, but I must say emmanual's solution is a lot more practical!
Thanks again. Although, 80 drops of chlorine does seem quite a bit for 10 gallons!?

ok! I just tested because I was incredulous. You guys are right, 80 drops does equal roughly 1 tsp. I just couldn't believe it!
Thanks again!

Last edited: