Torch coral

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
I've had this torch coral for about 3 weeks now. When I put it in the tank it opened right away and looked real good, It hadfour heads on it, well about a week ago i noticed 1 of the heads desintegrating(sp?) only little parts of the torch arms still attached, then a day later all the little parts of the arms were gone and it was just the skeleton. 3 days after that another head of the coral started to do the same thing now its just skeleton. So im left with two dead heads and two live heads.
Any idea why they are dying? all parameters are perfect. Everthing else is doin great. Can I cut the dead skeletal parts off. What would I cut them off with? What can i do to keep the other two heads alive?
btw, the torch is in the middle of the tank in a well circulated area, not to much current not to little. Does he need moved?

Thanks guys hope all is well.....

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
hey..if all params like ph, nitrites,nitrates,salt are good...have you checked your calcium level ? This baby need some. My frogspawn got better when i added calcium + strontium. Same family of corals.
Also i target feed it with marine snow with a seringe once a week when the mouth is opened.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
yeah calcium is over 500.... theres alot in our tap water lfs says if i do regular water changes that i wont need to dose calcium till i have alot of corals. But yeah tested over 500....

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
euphyllia is very sensitive to shipping and poor acclimation...once established, however, they are quite hardy. my bet is that somewhere along the process of moving it or acclimating it the euphyllia was maimed and is now suffering; recession of euphyllia is common and usually takes place from the outside in. that said, there is no reason to remove the dead heads because they are not connected to each other biologically...they are each their own coral. if you want to seperate them use a dremel with a cut off disk...but i wouldn't do this until the other heads are feeling happy. don't want to stress the coral more

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i should have added poor extension (as yours seem to display) is often a sign of poor water quality...but you said all your tests were good so i still think it is shipping/handling damage

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
camaro:i kinda misunderstood you, i got the picture on not cutting them off till the others are happy. But is there any chance the dead ones will grow back?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
hey jammerz...looks exactly like my frogspawn before. Like 1-2 mini tentacles remaining. There's hope..new one could grow. The dead one won't grow back..and you may see the skeleton for a while..but new one could really appear. I have another baby frogspawn coming now. Don't trow it out, keep eveything.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
you say you are using tapwater? do you by chance have nitrates, phosphates, and/or heavy metals in your tapwater? do you have copper pipes? we recommend that water be RO and/or DI'ed to remove any possible problematic chemicals

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
Yeah still workingon the RO/DI thing, trying to get my head above water after the halides, sump conversion, and some livestock purchases. The tap water around here is really good, nothing like RO water but not bad I've been told. I tested for nitrates in my tap and got nothing not to sure how accurate that is, but they are below 10ppm in my tank now....