Total newb has a question!

Crucial

New Fish
Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
Hello to everyone on the forum!

I am very new to saltwater tanks, I am just getting mine set up. I will get right to my question, and then give some background on what I have so far in case that helps diagnose what I observed.

I tested the pH, and it seemed to be a tad lower (7.8-8.0, hard to gauge with the color tester) than it was the last time I tested, so I decided to add some marine buffer, a mere 5g to the tank. After doing so, I noticed that the small coral formations on the live rock seemed to 'lose' their tentacle-like growth from their tops, elongate, and break off. It was more pronounced I think because of the addition of the marine buffer which had not completely dissolved and because of all the air bubbles from the powerhead & filtration unit. My immediate reaction was that I killed whatever was growing. I am confused because I read that any type of coral demands higher pH, so I cannot understand how a marine buffer would in any way damage growth on a coral. Or is it just my imagination?

Here is what I have done so far:

About 2 weeks ago, I got the tank, and set up the substrate, heater, and filter. It is a 20L tank with 2 20W bulbs (one for inverts, one for the fishies). I let all of this sit for awhile as I was waiting for the aquarium center near me to get a new shipment of live rock. It arrived last night, and I put about 14 lbs of it in. It is really nice, with lots of different algae growth, a few sponges, and some coral (even got a clam on it!). I also got a powerhead hoping to create a better current.

I am letting the tank cycle before I introduce any fish. I was told this is the safest way, and the least stressful on the fish. I am diligently recording the levels each day so I can catch problems before they start. Any thoughts/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated... I hope this board will be another great resource as I am doing a lot of research so I can do this thing right!

Crucial

New Fish
Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
just an update in case anyone responds to my thread:

today I noticed that whatever growth was on the hard corals that disappeared last night is back today.

another thing; the hard corals that are closer to the top of the tank are looking bleached, which I would assume is some sort of reaction to the light - except I have relatively low light (one actinic lamp and one fluorescent)... is this maybe a shock reaction from being at the LFS previously? Or maybe I am giving it too much light? I was in the habit of turning the lights on when I got home, and turning them off when I went to bed. They had about 8 hours of light, but now I am thinking maybe I should turn them on when I leave in the morning and turn them off after I get home (there is still enough light in the room that I can see... I am thinking that maybe since the room gets a lot of light when I am gone during the day that the corals are never getting any darkness? or is that not the kind of light that would affect them?

also, if anyone could recommend any good reference books - i went to the library today and got a 'marine aquariums for dummies' book along with what looks like a very comprehensive encyclopedia on marine life.

thanks!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if you dont have enough light they are probably bleaching b/c they need more! then again, i dont know what kind of hard corals come on LR which would show up so early into the game

in short, you need more light for any corals

the stuff on your LR could be aiptasia which you would be better off letting die anyway...i would do some reading on it and see if thats what you've got...

how did you get this tank setup with nothing more than "marine aquariums for dummies?"

Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
the corals that i am speaking of are hard corals - they were on the live rock when I got it. the corraline isn't bleaching, it only seems to be the hard coral.

i got the tank set up with the help of the LFS and my own research- and i wouldn't knock that book, most of what i have read in it has been reiterated in many other sources both online and by employees at the aquarium center where i shop.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Most hard corals are pretty fragile so the shock of going to your tank and changes in the lighting have likely killed them, still you neer know.... I got some 'free' montipora on some scraps of live rock that I think is regenerating.
Corals bleach for 2 reasons - too much light, suddenly can shock and kill thme. Alternatively to little light can also require them to change their interanl algae (zooanthellae) so they dump all the stuff they contain (bleaching). However in a tank they'e not likely to get lower light algae cells from the surrounding water.
I always like to recommend Mike Palettas New Marine Aquarium to beginners.

bobrob

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Belfast, Northern Ireland
What fish are you putting in there when the tank is cycled? 20 Litres is very very small for a saltwater tanks. You could maybe get a few inverts and 1 small fish, clownfish or a firefish maybe? Saltwater tanks can't be stocked with a lot of fish like freshwater can.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I have a 20 reef and keep a pair of perculas and a bicolor dottyback. Water parameters are fine and the fish get along. Also the corals are thriving and reproduce quickly.

Stick with easier corals like mushrooms and polyps.

Sam Reef

Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses thus far!

My tank still has not cycled yet, but the corals that are attached to the live rock are developing slowly but surely... I havent been able to identify them yet though since they are VERY tiny.

As for the fish, I am not sure what to get yet. I do not want to stress the tank too much, so I will probably start with 2 clowns, and then maybe one more larger fish but that is it. Eventually once I know how my tank behaves I would like to introduce a few inverts. (BTW, it is 20gal, not litre.. that would be tiny hehe)

One more question that I do have is this:

I have been tracking the progress of my tank and am wondering why I have not seen the spikes in ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite... perhaps I have missed them?

The second to last measurement I took showed no ammonia, no nitrite, and between 10-20ppm nitrate. Then the next day, nitrate dropped again to near zero. I am not sure if it is just an inconsistency with my measurements or what... is it possible that the plant life (I do have some green foliage on my live rocks) is consuming the nitrogens faster than they can be produced by the bacteria? Or that since I have no inhabitants in the tank, no ammonia is being created?

I will take more measurements tomorrow and post the results.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you got some decent cured live rock in there and got it back from the store quickly then you will likely not have seen an ammonia spike as the biofiltration came with the live rock. I never saw an ammonia spike in my most recent tank.
It's entirely possible algae has soaked up your nitrate.

How long is a 20 long? 3 feet. Much better than a 20 high

Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the reply wayne. Anything you could suggest I do before adding fish? I want to wait a little bit longer to make sure I don't see anymore spikes in any levels... is it safe to assume that if the tiny corals growing on the rock are stable that the fish would be as well? They are getting significantly larger now, and the tips of them are becoming more defined. I can't identify them to anything in the reference books I have because they are still completely clear save for little white flecks on the tops of each one.

I'm at work right now, but I think it is in the ballpark of 3 feet. Why do you say the 20L is better?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A 20 long has more surface area and allows for more oxygen exchange. It also give you more horizontal space which allows for bigger territories.

Sam Reef

Jun 8, 2004
Visit site
ah i see.. well im glad i got the 20L, it was purely cosmetic because of where i put it in my apt.

i checked my levels, all looks good, i saw a slight increase in nitrates, and a decrease in my pH.. it was 8.3, now it is about 8.0. and it only took 2 days to drop that fast...

is there anything i should do to keep it from fluctuating like that, or is this just a result of the tank not being cycled yet? i added some marine buffer to take care of the issue for now, but i dont want fish in my tank if it keeps dropping like that.