Traces of ammonia in my tank! Won't go down...

Jul 12, 2013
California
90G Freshwater Tank
Undergravel Filter (saving $$ for a new system)
Ammonia level won't go down to 0ppm...

When I first got the tank running I added a bottle of Tetra SafeStart which the PetSmart associate had told me to do if I wanted to add fish that day. I added 5 tinfoil barbs to the tank after adding the bottle. Also- Added the water with Stress Coat to dechlorinate and make it safer. The tank had no traces of anything for about a week. I tested it and Ammonia was up to 2ppm.

Went to new pet store to get better feedback and they told me to get Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II. After a couple weeks of this stuff I went on and bought an AquaClear Ammonia Remover bag. They told me it would be okay to just put it in the bottom of the tank. It made the tank really clear but the ammonia still hadn't dropped. I bought another one of those bags a few days ago and added it to the tank. STILL no drop in ammonia. I have been doing a 20% water change every week because the other pet store told me to not do more than that per week.

Thanks!!

Feb 27, 2009
The pet store employees are not telling you good information. If you detect any ammonia, you need to do daily 50% water changes until it stays zero. You should not need to add any chemicals except a dechlorinator. What are you using to test your water for ammonia? Are you also testing for nitrite and nitrate?

Feb 18, 2013
Welcome to the forums !

It sounds like the tank is new, you need to cycle your tank before your ammonia levels will disappear. Essentially the only way to cycle a tank quickly is to use a filter or a bag of gravel from a well established tank, that way it transfers the bacteria cultures to your tank and they can begin to establish themselves in your tank.

Basically the chemicals to cycle the tank are a waste of money, retail chains won't tell you this, because they make lots of money off them, my LFS doesn't stock said items for that reason.

Your next step is to learn about the Nitrogen cycle that occurs in a tank, if you aren't familiar with it.

The Nitrogen Cycle

• Basically fish waste contains ammonia, and as the solids break down they produce ammonia. Ammonia is very fatal to fish even at low levels it will reduce their life
  • Bacteria grow that consume ammonia, however they produce nitrites as a byproduct. Nitrites are also dangerous to fish nearly at any level.
  • A different strain of bacteria grow to consume Nitrites, and produce Nitrates. Nitrates are much less dangerous to your fish, and are kept under control by performing Water changes and/or plants.

The lack of Nitrates, and abundance of Ammonia show your tank has not cycled. Until your tank cycles you'll need to perform large volume water changes to control your Ammonia \ Nitrites until the tank manages it, itself.

My 60 gal tank took about a month to cycle without fish.

Your best bet would be to drain all but enough water for your fish to swim in, as long as their dorsal fin is covered with water, it's sufficient. The bacteria cultures you want to grow in your tank will grow in your substrate \ filter, and on any decorations you may have in the tank.

Keep monitoring your Ammonia levels, and Nitrite levels, once Nitrites register, start checking for Nitrates.

Jul 12, 2013
California
I just did about a 50% water change. I would do another 3 bucket-fulls but I am doing this by myself with 5 Gallon water bottles and they are heavy. That sucks that I have wasted $50 on this bacteria-in-a-bottle stuff... Definitely will not be buying that anymore! Thanks for the advice!!

I have a 25G with 7 Black Skirt Tetras and 3 Red Platys. I have added some rock from that tank but I don't know how much I should add... I only moved about 4 cup-fulls to the 90G.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
A 90g tank can't be fun if you don't have a fairly easy means to do your weekly water changes on it! All you have is an under-gravel filter on it?? I didn't know you could even get those for a tank that large.

Yes, it's too bad you didn't read/post here before you wasted money on all the "additives". Honestly, most store employees don't have the experience with this kind of thing.

You've got an established 25g on hand? What type of filtration does the 25g use? Transferring some biological filtration media and some hardscape from the 25 to the 90 will speed up cycling your 90g big time.

I've instantly cycled a new tank by starting it up with an established sponge/bubbler filter and HOB filter.

Feb 18, 2013
As long as the 25 gal is fully cycled 4 cups should give it a good start.

What are the water stats on the 25 gal ?

your Ammonia drop is probably from your water change, the nitrites could be from the other tank, or they could be converting ammonia also.

I use a 20 ft garden hose to siphon water out of my tank, then a hookup to my kitchen sink to refill the tank.

Feb 18, 2013
If you start getting itchy for a new tank, you can do as FF mentioned, make or buy a sponge filter. When or if you ever have a new tank, or a Hob dies, or such, you can move it around, it'll let a tank cycle in a week, and it'll provide decent biological filtration, aka removing Ammonia \ Nitrites.