transfering fish from old to new tank

valbogert

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Is there anyone who can give some advice on switching from a 10 gal to a 29 gal? I have had it with the ten and not being able to provide my fish with the right things so I am thinking of uping to a 29 gal. Can I use the same filter, water ect..? Will that help with the cycling?

Val

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
You can run both filters, and use some of the water and that will help with the cycling. The gravel from the 10 can be rinsed in dechlored water and used if you are going to have the same color gravel. That will help too.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I'm probably going to catch heck for saying this but I just did the same thing. I had 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and just upgraded last night to a 29 gallon, and I was told use everything out of the 10 gallon, filters and all. My only problem is that I have to re-cycle it again. My nitrite levels are to high.
But I have taken notice just since I did that my fish swim around more, and they just look healthier.

I reused the gravel, filters, bubble wall, plants and whatever else was in there.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If your filter is only rated for a 10g you might need to get an additional filter or buy a new one that is rated for 29g instead.

Aside from the size of the filter..you should be fine to just transfer everything over to the new tank, water and all. If you dont add anymore fish and you haven't disturbed your filter too much, there shouldn't be any re-cycling that has to go on. I'd wait a few weeks for the tank to stablize before you add anything new.