Transport fish in emergency situations

Jun 24, 2009
Hey guys,

I just found out that a tropical storm is hitting our area. I just got my tank cycled and got fish stocked up and now I chance losing them all and my tank turning into a huge toilet bowl. What is the best way to transport 20 fish and make sure they stay healthy and not toooo stressed during transport for a week or so why we possibly evacuate and possibly not have power. Thx for the responses.

:eek::eek:

I really don't know as you should do anything... I live in FL myself, and I think that if you just leave them out and unplug the filter then they'll be fine for a couple of days, just clean the tank out every day that you don't have power, in the event that you do lose power... Other than that I think they should be fine, however if your evacuating the best possible suggestion I could make would be to find one of those hard portable plastic tanks, or more than one, and tie it down and hope for the best... I've never transported fish before, as they can really handle things so long as someone cleans their tank out and feeds them if in captivity...

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
Rubbermaid tubs and get some sort of battery powered generator and hook an air stone to it to give some sort of agitation in the water, DO NOT just leave them with the pump off trying to maintain feedings and cleanings

Crispar, I know that you shouldn't leave the pump off, however new I might be here, but you must also realize that the filter will have to go off if at some point in time we lose power.If you are transporting them they can go for a while without a filter, why don't we put bettas with filters? I know they are different then regular fish, but we clean out there tanks and they survive just fine, I suggest taking your tank and filter with you and hooking it up wherever you go...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I agree with chrispar on putting the fish in a rubbermaid with a battery-powered airstone. If you have a HOB filter, you can take that with you (keep the filter pad in tank water), and put the HOB filter on the side of the rubbermaid when you get to wherever you're staying.

An aggreement here! sorry to get off topic, but my dad thinks my aquarium is his (techniquely it is but) I'm afraid he's going to kill my fish, he just boiled a rock from his garden that is really big and plans on putting it on the top of a rock with two holes that is fairly thin. Will it kill my fish to put this in from the outside? Could it possibly collapse and kill my fish? Heres a pick of the rock I have...

Darn, couldn't find a photo, any hints here? Thanks!!!

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
my only tip is to read more, boiling rocks used from the outside can be just fine depending on what you use, i know that a trip to the rockyard has yielded amazing results. if its technically his tank and hes footing the bill for all this, i would let him do as he likes

Yes, he bought most of the stuff to get me started, yes, he was the one who got me the tank for free (along with a great salt water filter for free that would normally cost 700 dollars) he just anoyed me right now going "they'll probably all end up being my fish" but anyway, I'm paying for everything else from now on. And he put it in, it's fine. Anyway, I need help, anyone know how to make a real ocean out of your room?
Frog

:) I assume you think I'm in a younger age group, but in October I'm turning 13. lol, anyway, I mean I want to fill my room with many aquariums, not too many, but I am going to try and get, oh say two more tanks, and I'm going to label them, fresh water now, but later, I'll get some salt waters. My room is ocean themed, so it will look really cool having a bunch of aquariums.

Jun 24, 2009
thanks for the replies....

Good idea w/ the tupperware "tub". It would be big enough. I just need to look for a battery powered airstone or an convertor for my car that I can plug it in along w/ my HOB filter during transportation. That should work during transport/my stay until I can get back home. Although, if it is bad enough a few days away from the house and a week or so w/ no power to the tank and the temp spiking up in the house to mid 80-90s I will probably have to totally clean the tank top to bottom and recycle my tank again although it should be quick being I would have the medium w/ me (filter contents/some gravel). Thanks again for the ideas guys!!!

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I agree with chrispar on putting the fish in a rubbermaid with a battery-powered airstone. If you have a HOB filter, you can take that with you (keep the filter pad in tank water), and put the HOB filter on the side of the rubbermaid when you get to wherever you're staying.
ive read a lot of posts about using this same method with success.
this is the route i would go.
hope it works out for ya
Good luck !