Treating water

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I have an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water filter (Aquarium Water Quality: Tap Water Filter) that I have used for several years with my freshwater tank. As I do my research in preparation to set up my saltwater tank, I was wondering if is a good enough unit to purify the water that I will need to set up the tank and do water changes with. Do I need an RO/DI unit or will this work?

Once I have the DI water, do I need to add any supplements or does the salt take care of that?

Right now I am leaning toward an Oceanic 58 Gallon Reef tank but there is a good chance this will change.

Thanks

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
It's better than just using tap water. My tap water is actually pretty good so that is all I use. The salt water will add all the stuff you need. Now, if you keep clams or have a lot of corals then you will need to supplement. I use reef crystals and it contains all the 'stuff' I need. Doing weekly water changes replenish the stuff as well. I would recommend the RO unit.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Test your tap water for tds and for phosphates & silcates as these are what the ro removes and if you test out okay........welcome to life without ro/di.......though eventually you may want to get one