triggers & puffers

Apr 19, 2004
Bristol
Visit site
I am thinking of setting up a separte marine tank to house just a couple of interesting but agressive fish. Could anyone tell me if a sharpnose puffer would live happily with a picasso trigger. Would really appreciate an answer.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
i would doubt it and also if it did work the tank would have to be quite large, as in the fact that both will grow to be fairly large fish and the picasso atleast is very territorial, it might be doable witha large tank, i think it would heavily dpend on te temperment of your particular fish
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've seen it work, but you have to be ready for it not to. How big tank? These fish are both in a tank in a restaurant in my town, but it's a 6 foot diameter hex. There's also an undulate and some other nasty pieces of work in there

Apr 19, 2004
Bristol
Visit site
i thought sharpnose puffers were only about 3 inches and the picasso i thought would get to about 8. i was hoping to do it with quite a small tank - only a couple of feet across (100 liters. i considered them for my main tank (which is 4 ft - 380 liters) but i want a lionfish in that tank & i was worried that the puffer would nip at its fins.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's only going to work if the picassos quite small, and even then it'll be a push - triggers are pretty busy fish and need some space. Apart from that I can imagine these 2 working, but you never know with 'character' fish

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the picasso will grow much larger than that, 10-12" and is very territiorial and agressive, even for a trigger, i would recomend atleast a 70 gallon tank for this fish if you are planning to keep it through adulthood.
Brahm