Tropical vs Cold water and bacteria?

Nov 13, 2005
I wanted to ask if the bacteria (the good bacteria) in a tropical tank are the same as in a coldwater tank? i.e if I take the heater out of a tropical fish tank that is fully cycled, and turn it into a coldwater tank, will it need to cycle again?? I know brakish/salt tanks need to recycle if they are changed to freshwater, but what about tropical to cold?

Secondly, if I start keeping a coldwater tank, what do I use to keep it clean? I've used oto's while it is tropical but they wouldn't survive cold water... what could I use to keep it algae free?

Many thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank! :D

The coldwater and tropical bacteria are the same, so yes, you can just turn off the heater.

What kind of coldwater fish are you thinking of getting, and what size tank is it? This will help determine the best type of algae eaters.

Nov 13, 2005
Unfortunately it is a 10gal (I know, most fish enthusiasts think it is way too small but im not planning on keeping much in it!)

I saw these really nice type of goldfish at the LFS today, all I can describe them is as "fat-heads". I didn't get a name but the LFS told me that they didn't grow large. Either way I decided i'd just buy 2 of them.

If the load would be too much for the tank I'd possible get a snail? would prefer something else though!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Goldfish in a 10g tank really isn't a good idea. For their best health, a 20g is the minimum size for even one. It would be best for the fish if you get a larger tank.

There is a "sticky" in the goldfish/coldwater section on basic goldfish care.

A snail would make a good algae eater, though :)

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
I purchased two tropical ferns to plant in my coldwater goldfish tank (12gallon). Everyone at the LFS told me the plants would be eaten in a matter of days because of their soft tender stalks. I'm happy to say that the goldfish have shown no interest what-so-ever in the plants and they continue to grown happily in the back of my tank.

I think you just need to experiment and get your own results rather than listen to what people say.

-Xan

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
ROTFL! How long have the fish and plants been together? Didn't you just pick both up within the past couple of days?

I do have plants in with my goldfish, but nothing fancy. I saw in the thread Ballon shared the plants in glass jars -- in one of my tanks, I have some stem plants in Japanese tea cups and a pot and that works ok. Nothing nearly as nice or pretty as he had them tho! My java fern is left pretty much alone but most other plants will be eaten or simply uprooted by most goldies. My anacharis spends much more time floating than where *I* want it! LOL! They sure love their anacharis! (floating plants, too, especially duckweed) :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2005
I have hornworts, mondo grass and swords in my tank. They are all tied to rocks or they'd be floating. The goldies are slowly eating the swords and mondos. Still they look OK and are cheap to replace.