Trout Tank

I Found some trout a couple weeks ago in a drying up pond next to the river so i decided to take them home and fill up my 20 gallon they are about5 inches and 3 inches. I know everyone says that trout wont live in a aquarium without a chiller? These trout are cuthroat-rainbow hybrid trout from warmer river were they are mostly in the 60 70s so im hoping they will live. They look great and are active they are eating brine shrimp and blood worms and will eat flake food but they hate it and spit it out. I will get a bigger tank for them as they get bigger becuase I know the 20 gallon is not even close to being big enough. So far Ive but it a big powerhead to simulate a natural stream and added 2 air pumps to add oxygen and aerate the water. HAs anyone else kept trout and have anything they might want to add? I know they like clean water so i am going to do a 50 percent change per week.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
68-degrees Farenheit, max.

Keep dissolved oxygen at 6ppm or greater at that temp.

They get big, >15" and massive. Plan on it if you plan to keep them.

50% change per week may be excessive & cause stress unless spread out over a couple days. You can compromise and include a cartridge, sachet or cannister filter that includes activate charcoal to maintain water quality and reduce the frequency & volume of water changes.

They're very picky eaters to boot, as you have found out.

IME, trout are not a good aquarium fish.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i echo etheostoma 100%. there are better native fish that will acclimate to a home aquarium. the stress of a trout being in a tank will cause it to become overactive (in my past experiences) and dart back and forth, knocking into the tank walls. just not a good idea.