True Perculas

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I have never really heard of the true percs being that hard to keep. One of the biggest hurdles is getting them situated and eating properly but once they start accepting food its not as hard as you would think. I have seen recomendations for people looking into clowns and just getting into the hobby to stick to ocellaris as opposed to the percula but personally if you like the percula that much more go for it.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well I checked this morning before I left for work at one looks like he's not going to make it. When a fish starts doing flips and stuff, is there any hope for them? I read the hard things was to get them eating. About how long does that take? If one of them doesn't make it can I just add another one? Will the pair up ok? Im going to give the fish a couple of week then I would like to get a anenome, but I was wondering if I could keep one with 80 watts of light( 2 x flouresent ).

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
adding another clown should be ok just watch for aggression by the other one (but if he is lone it should be ok) As far as an anenome they require very high lighting and pristine water condtions so I would not reccomend them at this point in time.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Darn, OK. I think it's time for me to set up a QT tank. I'm going to get rid of my 10 FW and make that a QT. I paid 38 a piece for those clowns and I'm really going to be mad if they both keel over. They do add a lot more activity in the tank.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
how long did you have em? every pet store i have been to will accept a dead fish within a certain amount of time normally 72 hours i think, all they require is the receipt and a same of your water(and of course the dead fish, be best to keep it separate from the sample water)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Probably not.....no lfs here warranties salt water livestock.

Perculas or ocellaris are soooo close in resemblance it is hard to tell the difference. It is the tank bred that are usually easier and hardier not the breed. Rirst of all are yours a mated pair? You will want to any addition to the survivor to be smaller and more juvenille in case the one you have has started to change into a female. Any clown kept singly will turn female within approx 6 months time and any addition to pair them up must be a smaller juvenille. You paid a premium for those clowns so I hope that they make it. Clowns are usu a rule are pretty hardy not counting their susceptability to Brooklynella which is usually more prevelant in wild caught fish......

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ok, so I did a stupid thing today. I came home from work to find that one of the clowns was dead. So I thought I better get it out of the tank so I took it and flushed it. Then I called the LFS asking their guarentee thinking they didn't have one. Yep, 48 hours tropical fish. I'm going to go get another one tomorrow making sure it's the smallest one they have. The lady might have thought I meant tropical freshwater instead of saltwater though.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
me a few years ago playing video games. I am computer nerd and go into work at 6:30. I have to take my daughter to pittsburgh so I took a half day. Regarding the fishes. I know the clowns eat meaty foods as well as herbavoire foods. He doesn't seem to be liking my flake food right now, what can I feed him? I assume he will eat the sea veggies I have for my blenny.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Flake food...i think it's only useful when you're out of frozen one. It's like giving a Big Mac to your fishies ;)
Try frozen mysid shrimps...they also like some frozen herb food ( mysid mixed with spirulina etc ).
I feed mine with SF Bay and Hikari mysid, SF Bay Herb prep, Formula 2 ( got a tang so.. ) and he's colorful, happy and fat.

Oh...got a false perc but...diet's the same

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
one source

Clownfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites, meaning they are hatched as sexually immature fry. Based on signals from their environment and being physically mature (12–24 months) they will either remain sexually immature, change into a male or change into a male then female. A group of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy of this type, with the female (the largest and most aggressive) at the top. The change from juvenile to male, and male to female is irreversible. If the female should die or be removed from the group, the most dominant male then changes into a female, and the rest of the males move up a rank on the hierarchy.

In home aquaria, a juvenile only several months old can make the change from juvenile to male to female in as little as a month. Because of this, pairing clownfish can be a tricky proposition, as most hobbyists tend to select the largest and most dominant specimen (presumably a female) to mate with their own female. Usually two females will tend to fight regularly, and frequently lock jaws (some hobbyists describe it as kissing). In a successful pair, the male will exhibit submissive behaviour. Usually, this behaviour entails the more aggressive female darting at the male, and the male turning sideways and quivering.

Would you like more?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
that wikipedia entry looks pretty solid. I know alot of people have alot of reservations about wikipedia but I have yet to find incorrect information. Most of the time even if someone does make a mistake others report it and it is corrected. Its not the best source but I trust it.

and the lady may have been confuseing the tropical and saltwater I would calla again and make sure it applies to saltwater

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
1979camaro said:
interestingly, a recent study done in an educational journal showed that wikipedia was more accurate than encyclopedia britanica online and columbia encyclopedia online

damn I would have never believed britanica would ever be considered less accurate than wikipedia.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
Lorna said:
one source

Clownfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clownfish are protandrous hermaphrodites, meaning they are hatched as sexually immature fry. Based on signals from their environment and being physically mature (12–24 months) they will either remain sexually immature, change into a male or change into a male then female. A group of clownfish is always built into a hierarchy of this type, with the female (the largest and most aggressive) at the top. The change from juvenile to male, and male to female is irreversible. If the female should die or be removed from the group, the most dominant male then changes into a female, and the rest of the males move up a rank on the hierarchy.

In home aquaria, a juvenile only several months old can make the change from juvenile to male to female in as little as a month. Because of this, pairing clownfish can be a tricky proposition, as most hobbyists tend to select the largest and most dominant specimen (presumably a female) to mate with their own female. Usually two females will tend to fight regularly, and frequently lock jaws (some hobbyists describe it as kissing). In a successful pair, the male will exhibit submissive behaviour. Usually, this behaviour entails the more aggressive female darting at the male, and the male turning sideways and quivering.

Would you like more?

very cool, and interesting... is there any physical changes that happen or is it all internal?

i guess it would almost be possible for a male turned female clown to fertilize the eggs itself, if the transformation wasnt 100% complete