Tumbling live rock

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Woke up this morning to a wonderful site... my tonga branch on its side, and the clam that supported it hanging by its byssal threads against the other rock.

The rocks were balanced and wedged together fine for months, but I should have secured them. Luckily the clam appears to be ok... mantle is spreading out and it is opening and its syphon is out as normal. I was worried the fall and my consequent putting the rock back up may have damaged one or two of its threads.

I guess I could get some putty and try to bond the rocks together... it's going to be tough with the clam already there.

If I could go back, I would have superglues the rocks onto a platform and then superglued them together. Argh!!!!!

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
And a developing thought...

If you guys recall, my reef is actually on the lowest rung on my stand, very close to the floor. As I'm shutting down my freshwater planted tank that sits above, I was thinking of moving the reef to the top spot. But it would be such a pain in the arse... take me most of the day on Saturday. And it would be highly highly stressful.

Plan right now is to drain the water down to 2 or 3 inches, take the live rock out and put it in a bucket of tank water, but leave the sand and fish and critters in the tank. This should be no more than 30 pounds on a ten gallon tank that's being moved only a few feet up. Think it can handle that?

This would also give me a good opportunity to scrap off all the nasty hair algae that's taking over. Now that some rocks have tumbled, why not tear up the whole tank and move it? lol

What do you guys think? Should I risk it or leave it as it is?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Rock tumble, god forbid. I would hate to think of my rock falling in my tank as there are 6 pieces of marshall island about 25-35lbs a piece stacked together. I didn't want to glue them together as they would be unmanageable I wonder what the best way to brace them would be. I think maybe if I were to drill a 1/2 hole through each and insert a rod of pvc through to a t joint it would stabilize the whole thing......