Tunze 6060 vs Seio 1100

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I know this is need to be in the product review section, I thought I might getter quicker answer by placing this thread here.

I have finally decided to tear down ugly closed loop and removed all the powerhead and replace them with one these, Tunze 6060 or Seio 1100. Except the price difference, approx $140 vs $60, and the obious rating of 1600GPH vs 1100 GPH, what are the other difference or advantages and disadvantages.

I have standard 70gal tank (88X18). For me to attain optimum water flow, how many Seios or Tunzes should I use?

Rohn

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Seio's I was once told are the poor mans Tunze... though Seio's are not cheap either. I use a Seio myself and love it...But like KahluazZz said Tunze are supposed to be a solid piece of equipment!

I would think you would want at least two of either that you go with, but that will also depend on your rock placement, you may want to add another. I run a Seio 650 in my 20g along with the 250g return sump pump and because of my rock work you would never know there is that much flow.

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree two is minimum.......I would look at the seio 1100 or even the higher seio and get the controller......that would create random flow patterns that we strive for in a reef tank.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Ummm, I have a tunze 6060 as well as a controlled 6000. They are utterly bombproof, and in europe cost the same as the seios (or near as... <10%). The seios have a somewhat higher failure rate, so buying tunze is a no brainer. What shape is the tank - rather than the gallonage it is the shape that defines how many you need. You might want to wait till the new nanoTunzes ocme out as as far as tunze are concerned a 70 is a nano - they will be far smaller, somewhat cheaper and come withthe magnet mounts integral. The standard tunze pump mount is very tricky.